Do you find yourself coming back?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TonyP-, Aug 28, 2019.

1. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Hey Folks...
    Do you find yourself coming back to a particular pickup?
    A particular brand and model?
    Maybe a specific wiring even?

Even with the odd state of the music industry I'm working regularly. At this time I mostly rely on one style of pickups in most of my working basses in a variety of situations.

I do keep some specific basses for specific needs (kind of like specific golf clubs) like most working players, that don't have my ideal set of pickups for me. That is just part of the course.

I keep coming back to Nordstrand Big Singles wired in series (I bypass the pan pot) and that is what I use most of my working basses. I'm relying on them so much I'm having them routed in an M5 Lull that was set up for just J pickups.

What are your favorites?

ctmullins likes this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Innit great when you find a go-to piece of gear?

I don't find myself gravitating toward a particular pickup. But I made a hard swing from active basses for 15 years to almost all passive. The simpler the controls the better. It has forced me to broaden my scope of finger and pick techniques with regard to plucking. More often these days my knobs and switches (once the room is dialed in) are "set it and forget it". I'm adjusting my tone by plucking placement and technique. You can cover a ton of sonic ground between picking at the bridge and using the soft side of your thumb near the end of your fretboard.

Passive (mostly) neck pickups with the volume and tone dimed seems to be "home" for me right now.

I need to try some of the Big Singles. They seem to get rave reviews. If they're good enough for a player like you, there's gotta be something to them.

TonyP- likes this.
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

TonyP- likes this.
  4. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Thats kind of You two fingers...
    My bass Big Singles has push and pull active/passive...The passive sound through a tube amp creates a completely different kind of monster. Its really awesome actually.

two fingers likes this.
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    You already know my answer. [​IMG]

Nope, I only have a few basses and each is different and weird in its own way. Just like the way I typically aspire to play: play something once, why play it again? [​IMG]

TonyP- likes this.
  6. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    For J-Basses, the tried and true Seymour Duncan SJB1 single coils rock!

Zoobiedood and TonyP- like this.
  7. pappabass

pappabass Inactive

May 19, 2006
    Alabama !! Roll Tide
    Yep, back to active eq bass. I own a nice Fender P, badassII bridge, EMG's, rewired, set up nice, good strings, but still has the generally muddy sound when playing lower notes. Cut back on the lows and I would lose the feel. Back to my active eq bass, sounds much better, has the slight crisp sound to punch thru & clean on the bottom.

TonyP- likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022