Do you focus on feeling or technique when you play?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 2BitBassPlayer, Aug 23, 2001.

1. Totally on feeling

9 vote(s)
  2. Mostly feeling, a little bit of technique

20 vote(s)
  3. A little of column A, a little of column B

9 vote(s)
  4. 75% technique and 25% feeling

3 vote(s)
  5. Technique all the way!!!

2 vote(s)
  1. When i play it's mostly about feeling, anyone can read from a book, when you play somthing by feeling thats when it is unique and becomes your own.
  2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    False dichotomy. One never rules out the other.
  3. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    You focus on technique when you PRACTISE. And you should do this often so the technique is refined and is second nature.

When you are performing, you should focus on FEELING - the TECHNIQUE should be automatic and should not be a concern.
  4. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i never really thought about it. I never really even think about technique when i play, so i guess i'm total feeling.
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I was at a clinic with Wooten, Gambale, Tom Coster(keys), & Larry Bright(drums); some guy asks Gambale his exact plucking pattern while ascending on 1 string. Frank's answer was he didn't know... he was PLAYING, not 'thinking', per se. Thinking's for the shed... ;)
  6. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I agree......
    When i´m playing I "swicht" to animal mode, so I forget about "how to play" and just PLAY......

Remember Animal from The Muppets, he´s like a musical-feeling hero to me :D
  7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Very well said, except it's practice. :);)
  8. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Like your opinion matters you stupid, ignorant, good-for-nothing...

oops, wrong thread!
  9. anon5458975

Apr 5, 2001
    I'm not sure what I'm focused on when I'm playing, if anything at all. I think more or less I'm just listening to short random pieces of music that pop into my head, they set the direction of the song for me when improvising, or they remind me where I'm supposed to be heading when playing songs that are set in stone. Doesn't have much of anything to do with technique, I guess it's more of a feeling type of thing.

It's not like constantly listening or thinking about completely different pieces other than what I'm playing at the moment, it's sort of like a one second delay from my mind to my hands. I get a quick glimpse of where to go and then I just go.

Hope that makes sense, I'm seriously sleep deprived right now. Just feel lucky that you got to read the edited version of this post, holy typos! ;)
  10. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    as long as what i play sounds good to me im find....:)
  11. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I don't care how much feeling you put into a performance, if there is no technque, it will suck. That's all there is to it. Yes, it doesn't take much to sit down and learn something from a book, but in the same vein, a monkey can whack on the strings with all the emotion in the world and it will sound horrible.

Learning technique for technique's sake gets you nothing. Music is about expression, and technique is the TOOL that gets you there. To play without technique means you aren't really playing, aren't you? One of my main goals as a musician is to find the balance between technique, expression and taste. I just don't see how it would work without all of these working together.
  12. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
  13. Wow nice evil laugh you just got out of me. :D

Oyster nice to see ya how you been?

Oh yea the topic, I practice my technique so I can play with feeling. I just let my ears move the motor skills in my hands.
  14. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    LMAO. Man, that was funny.
  15. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    I respectfully disagree. You are incorrect.

Practise is a verb. Practice is a noun.

I said:
    "You focus on technique when you PRACTISE."

which is correct, as I used "practise" as a verb.

If I had said:
    "You should focus on technique during PRACTICE."

then you should use "practice" as a noun.

16. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

word :cool:
  17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome back, O'man.:)

Agree with most of the posters in this thread. Technique is for practice(practise?).

Nino, Bass Guitar, I think that this is a case of Brit spelling vs. American spelling, like color/colour, etc.
  18. When i play i dunt think i just try ad get in the groove:cool: :D
  19. anon5458975

Apr 5, 2001
    I'd just like to add that I agree with what SuperDuck said in his post, it makes sense. All the same, I wouldn't go as far as to say that I'm "focused" on techinque while I'm playing. It's just something that is almost second nature from practicing. Whatever technique and/or articulation I use when playing just comes about from the feelings invoked by the said song.

I hope that one day I'll be able to acchieve an almost "second nature" proficency to the "feeling" aspect of my playing as well. To be able to play everything I'm hearing with relative ease, I'm not quite there yet.

Once again, I hope that makes sense, I don't have a valid exscuse this time if it doesn't...hehe :)
  20. I'd have to say feeling is way more inmportant than technique. Yea, technique is important, but what matters is how it sounds, no the way it looks. You could be the most technically advanced person out there, but if you have no sense of style, it won't make up for it.