1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you "fret" about gigging with your boutique bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by atrapp, Mar 30, 2009.

1. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Taichung, Taiwan
    pun intended...

At bars I keep a very watchful eye on my gear, while at Worship I pretty much leave my basses hanging unwatched - yes even the Ritter. I wonder if worrying at bars is necessary, for the most part your average Joe at a bar is not to likely to know the value of - Ritter, Benavente, Status, Sadowsky, Nordstrand, Roscoe or Modulus (my main gigging rotation). My bet is a thief would be more likely to steal a Fender than any of the above simply due to popularity.

How many folks keep insurance "riders" on their gear (I do)?

Cheers,

2. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    no, most people don't know what a mike lull is. I"ve left it on the stands overnight at bars without a problem. Writing it makes me realize how stupid on am.

3. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    At this point I want someone to steal my warwick so I can get something new lol.
    if I had a bass more than 1000$ I wouldn't take it to the crap bars I play in.

4. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I always keep a close eye on my stuff regardless of the bars or venue. That being said, I haven't really played any seedy bars or really bad areas.

5. i keep mine on my back or in hand if im not playing it in the bar.. even during breaks i bag it and keep a close eye..i dont trust anyone...people are assholes....too many friends have had theirs ripped off..and if i lost my Pbass...id be pretty crushed...yeah i can get another but its not the vintage one ive learned on and poured my blood and sweat into......but i guess it depends on how much you value your tools.. or if you trust humanity...

6. I typically won't play a place where I don't feel safe, but I still keep an eye on the gear. Someone is always at the stage, at the vehicles, or moving in between to lug more gear. Seems like most people get the intermediate level gear stolen, especially when left in a trailer.

7. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I gig my 74 P, my Roscoes, my Anniversary Stingrays, etc. always.

The ONLY gig I won't bring my high end stuff to is to outdoor gigs when there is chance of rain.

8. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Nowadays, its easier than ever for some scum to price and sell your gear. 2 minutes on the internet and they can gauge a price and probably less than 10 minutes have an ad up somewhere, with pics.

Why make it easier than ever for them to steal your gear? If I were gigging, I'd take a minute to atleast return my instruments to a locked vehicle. Most cabs, amps, and pedals are all replaceable. But your instruments are much more personal. If you rocked the place, the crowd isn't going to forget you by the time you return from the van.

9. a buddy had his car stolen with his bass and amp inside....he loaded it locked it went back in for a beer came out gone......... if the bass is on me they will have to pry it from my cold dead hands.......

10. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Taichung, Taiwan

Nothing scares me more than leaving a bass in a car - locked or otherwise.

You rarely hear stories about people having all the gear stolen off the stage, but it is unfortunately very common for the "band" van or trailer to be stolen while parked outside a venue.

True story... about 1987 (yeah I'm over 40) I was coming home late from a gig, tired and probably a little lit to a new 5th floor apt (with elevator). I was sorely tempted to leave my amp and cabs in the car, but I knew the neighborhood with little to no off street parking was well known for car breakins. I hefted my Cerwin Vega 2 X 12 and 1 X18, a long with amp and basses to the elevator and up to the apt. Read for a bit - till the inescapable sound of a tool dropping outside (it was summer and the window was open with more car directly below), I poked my head out the window and two rat bastards were ripping me off for all my mechanics and carpentry tools, of course by the time I got down to the car they were long gone... but I still had all my bass gear!

Never leave any gear in a car... unless you are well insured and looking for some new toys!

11. dj150888

dj150888

Feb 25, 2008
    Belfast, Ireland
    It doesn't just apply to boutique basses, remember some of you guys with expensive basses will find it easier than others would to replace "cheap" basses.

My main bass is only worth around $500-600, I still keep a damn close eye on it because I simply can't afford a replacement.

12. We usually have security on stage at the pubs we play but even when we don't theres usually someone keeping an eye out on the gear. Theres no way someone could get to the door with my bass let alone halfway through the crowd. but noone has ever tried. they usually go for the dice hanging from my mic stand. drunk people are too stupid. they see something dangling and its like shaking keys at a baby

13. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I fret about giging with my Stingray or my G&L. Not boutique basses at all, but still cost me a lot of money.
    That's why I bought a used Squier...
    Also, this is NYC. Turn around for a second and someone could run off with yout 80lb SVT head, nevermind an 8lb bass...

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Not at all.

I look after my gear and am sensible about it. I have some nice basses, but I don't treat them any different than I did my ol' Precision or one of my Jazzes.

Besides, my number 1 is very very very unique. There's only one of them and its very recognizable. It would be tough to steal and even harder to sell.

15. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    I never worry about it.

16. i wont gig with my vintage guitars.. which is why i own a cheap knock off 335, and soon a cheap sx tele. i dont have nice basses..

17. Yes I do............ only costs about $60 a year...part of my renter's insurance

Ampeg club # 436
    Passive club # 117
    PBass club # 735
    Big Cab club #61:D

18. +1 prob why im the way i am ... since living here....makes you aware.... but hey if he can run with an 80lb head faster than me ...he can have it...lol

19. Skarekrough

Skarekrough

Aug 7, 2006
    Never gig with something that you are unwilling to part with either financially or sentimentally.

But also realize, these things are tools. They're meant to be played.

20. levis76

levis76 Seconds from getting ba...

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Seeing as how I play in the seediest poophole bars in and around Detroit and the economy here is as bad as it is, YES, I keep even my crappy $200 Jackson insured and I keep a close eye on all my gear. I only trust MY bandmates and few friends. A gig we did a few months ago, a guitar player had his back up axe stolen. The only people in the bar that night were the bands and the wait staff. No one copped to it, so it just grew legs and ran away. Guy was so pissed he left and made his band play with no lead guitar.