1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you "fret" about gigging with your boutique bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by atrapp, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

Absolutely. My Status was over $5K, but I gig it in bars and leave it on a stand between sets. Never had an issue. It would be shame to leave it at home. It can be replaced.

2. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    If you value your gear then you should keep an eye on it.

3. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    well, instruments are PRETTY EXPENSIVE in Chile, so even if not boutique they can mean a lot of money

the Geddy Lee I bought is US $1,532 here, brand new, I got it off cheaper, but not thaaat cheaper, it costed me around $1,445, and all that's with the old Fender prices [@ Chile]

and besides costing way more than they do in the US or other countries, that's a lot of f*ing money from where I come from

that said, I don't even take my Yamaha RBX 775 out that much, I usually take cheaper basses like my LTD B-154 [actually, the reason I bought it was to use it outside, like for University and stuff]

4. Keep your bass behind your amp during break. Take you bass and pedals home every night regardless of where you're playing.
    I've never had anything ripped off from a bar, but a friend of mine lost all their band equipment when the place they were playing burned.

5. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    The "only" basses I own are my Ken Smith and Sadowsky. Regardless of the gig I am playing one or the other. Why get such a great bass only to play it in your basement or bedroom?? just keep it cased and in your hand until it's time to play and when you are done back in the case it goes... works for me. BTW my gear is insured.

6. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    Skarekrough is right basses are tools, but if you play dives/scary places I'd get a cheapie simply to use as a defense mechanism. (Without discharging a firearm.)

God Bless,
    Later R.

7. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    I love all my stuff and I keep a close eye on it, but it is all insured so I am not too worried about it.

None of it is irreplaceable.

8. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    If I'm playing locally I use my high dollar bass nearly all the time. It's the sound I really want & use on most recordings and on stage. On the other hand, if we're going out of the country or to other unfamiliar places, I take a cheaper, replaceable bass that I have usually modded to sound good. I just hate leaving an irreplaceable bass in rented vans in strange countries where I don't know what's going on. I can't get comfortable & carrying it everywhere I go sucks. My main axe is a custom Elrick 5 string that I had made 10 years or so back. For touring I use one of my modified foreign made Fender or Squier Jazz 5 strings or a Korean made Spector Legend 5. I put active EMG pups & preamps in the Spector, which brought it up to snuff.

9. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I ALWAYS keep a very watchful eye on my stuff. It's not a lot of expensive gear, but I worked hard to get it and I take very good care of it so that it will last. One thing my band does at all of our shows is have at least one person stays with the gear at all times. We also take the extra 15 minutes after a show to store our gear (cases, etc). It's easy to do and can save you a lot of money and hassle in accidental damage or theft.

I'd say insurance is a must for any gigging musician these days. MusicPro Insurance insures up to $10,000 worth of gear for only $100 a year. That's not a bad deal at all, and it's certainly worth it as it protects it from damage, theft, and just about anything in between.

10. Skarekrough

Skarekrough

Aug 7, 2006
    Have you ever had them pay out for you or someone you know?

Anyone can sell you insurance. It's what they do when you ask them to back it up when something happens that means something.

11. Laklandlover

Laklandlover Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA BABY
    :crying:Well in 1990 I got my Tobias Classic 6 "jacked" at a Gospel Concert in Milwaukee, MN. I trust no man now. :eyebrow:

12. Also must be sure the insurance covers theft outside of the home. Mine does not. Thus, I don't take my eyes off the gear, but I'm not actively gigging at the moment.

13. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    I always keep them in sight. If not I put them back in the bag and make sure they're on my person if no one's in charge of watching them.

14. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Sorry to infer that only "expensive" basses are to be cherished and have edited the OP.

15. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Luckily I haven't had to deal with that, but 3 different people at Guitar Center and even another insurance company recommended MusicPro as one of the best music instrument insurance providers around. I trust their opinions, but if you have personally dealt with a good insurance companies, I'd be very interested to hear your experience and opinion.

MusicPro does, but it's good to reiterate that many companies do not and those seeking insurance should take this into consideration when doing extensive research.

God. I like TalkBass more and more every day...

16. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Note to self: Easier to steal from churches.

17. bluesfan216

bluesfan216

Oct 9, 2008
    Arkansas

The only major damage that has ever happened to an instrument of mine came while it was at a church.:rollno: Amazingly enough, no one ever did confess to it. Moral of the story...keep an eye on your stuff, no one is to be trusted.

18. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I gig with my high-end/boutique basses, but unless they are under my watchful eye within an arm's reach, they are always on my shoulder in their gigbag.

19. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    I usually never take it off... just swing it around and have it hanging on my back...

20. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I used to - but I still did it anyway. Then I got a beater bass for beer gigs, that as nice...

But I sold all my high-end axes to pay the bills and have nice but decidely medium axes which I have no problem playing at any gig (and they sound and play ~90% as my crazy expensive axes did).