1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you "fret" about gigging with your boutique bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by atrapp, Mar 30, 2009.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I don't fret about it at all, whether it is my fretless or fretted.

2. I don't fret about it. If I'm not comfortable with the venue, I don't take my better bass there. I don't have boutique basses, but I have some I value more than others.

3. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I watch my Squier Affinity(s) as hard as I keep an eye on my '08 MIA Jazz V. To me, a thief is a thief - end of story. They may not know the street value of what they're trying to steal, but they don't really care either. To each their own, but luck favors the prepared - I watch mine. :cool:

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I got over worrying about it once I started playing upright in bars, they are worth more than any of my vintage or boutique electrics. Heck, some of my amps are worth more...

I keep telling myself I'll sign up for insurance but have been procrastinating for years.

5. Skarekrough

Skarekrough

Aug 7, 2006
    I haven't dealt with them. I also haven't known anyone that has either so it's hard for me to say good or bad about them.

Again, anyone can sell insurance. It's how the company handles it when they're called in to pay up that makes the difference.

6. I've only taken my custom to a bar once. I usually use my Dean that I got off ebay for $300. I use my custom for church, and recording mainly. I think I would bring it to a bar if the gig required it. But I think I pretty much use my 4 string (Dean) for rock, and my 5 string (custom) for worship. So that's probably more like it actually. Keeping equipment in the car scares me!!!

7. Nope, never even think about it.

If I don't want to play it, I don't own it. If I own it, I'm damn well going to pull it out and play it, wherever I'm gigging.

They're tools, no more, no less.

I've got a somewhat unique vantage point in this discussion, as I work at a place that builds them (and some consider them to be "boutique"). We are not building them to LOOK at (we like them to look good, mind you!), but to be used to make music. We're not happy to hear about the 5 year old bass that's in "like new, not a scratch on it" condition, because we want them to be PLAYED, not looked at!

I like it when one comes in for a modification or repair and it's all beat up. Means someone really loves it. :)

8. I guess I do worry about it, because just yesterday, I called my insurance company to get a quote on putting my Roscoe on a separate rider in my home insurance.
    I have only played one gig with my Roscoe and it did not leave me side for a second... so yah, I worry all the time!
    Too bad that the world is what it is!
    Fishheadjoe

9. No matter how expensive my stuff is, I bought it so that I could gig with it so I take it wherever need be. On stage the stuff is safe but as others have said, it's when it's in an unwatched vehicle that stuff disappears.

I roadied for a semi-popular band in L.A. back in the 80's and while their van never got ripped off, another band's did at The Roxy. There was some $20,000 worth of stuff in their (from what I heard anyway). After that, we always had someone sitting in the van even when it was empty.

10. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    What's the point in having an instrument if you can't gig it?
    I'm a careful person but I don't worry much.
    As for bars vs. church ... I've never lost anything at a bar or known another player who has but I know a few people who have had stuff ripped off from a church.

11. That's a good point, and I certainly intend to gig with my custom Hanewinckel. I'm having it built to suit my needs. It will be rocked. :bassist: :D