Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you get more mwah out of flats or rounds?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bman, Jul 22, 2002.

1. bman

bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    I think I'm picking up a fretless today. Either a Cort Curbow or a MIM Jazz.

Should I stick with the rounds that come with it, or pick up a set of flats? Which results in more mwah?

Thanks!

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    In my experience... rounds.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No roundwounds, no mwah.

4. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i forsake fretboard wear in order to get the sound only rounds can give.

of course, with my basses, phenolic and phenowood fongerboards negate that issue.

the only flats i've liked on fretless were the LaBella Tapewounds on my old Rob Allen MB2.

f

5. Y'know, you can get mwah out of flats if you have a low enough action...all the upright guys with the "1970s tone" (NHOP, Eddie Gomez, Eberhard Weber although he was using an EUB) were using flatwound strings.

I'm gonna pop a set of Status flats on my Kingston 5 next week and get it set up with ridiculously low action. I might post yet more crappy sound files.

6. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    oh man....those names!!!

Eddie Gomez did some great work with Jeremy Steig. especially the LP MONIUM. ever heard that one?

mmmmm...

and Eberhard Weber...one of my favorite ECM artists. saw him live in 1977.

YOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so, yes, flats can do...

WHAT CLIPS?!?!?! WHERE?!?!?! i wanna hear!!!!

post some at the altguitarbass yahoo group!

:)

f

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Agreed. All it takes is the proper setup. I played a Conklin GT fretless 4 with tapewounds that sounded disturbing close to a Rob Allen. Mwah for days.

8. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    Question, shouldn't Elixir's help save the fingerboard?

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I disagree. My Streamer LX is strung with TI jazz flats. All the mwah you could ever want.

Chas

10. I second that opinion. :D

11. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I loves me some LaBella Black Nylon Tapewound strings too!
    So smooth, and plenty of mwah.
    Not as bright as rounds, but they do just fine in the upper register...nice mellow, warm, singing fretless tone.

Guess that's why I try to have a few fretli lying around. Rounds are nice too and have a distinct tone; I like the Pedulla nickel rounds myself.

Nice to have the choice; each type of string offers something different- not inherently better, just different.

Variety=good.

12. I like light 35-95 gauge Roto Jazz flats on my defretted Hohner acoustic. =pseudo-double-bass type mwah.

check out "Fluxivity", "advanced maths blues" (sloppy:oops:, but fits the comic theme of the song), and "lack of knowledge" on my Mock Turtle Regulator mp3.com page linked below for recordings.

13. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    The lower the action, the more mwah. Rounds give a bit more mwah too, but you sacrifice your fretboard. But hey, you only live once. :)

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Not necessarily.

15. I prefer rounds. Rounds can chew up the fretboard, but IME, rosewood gets chewed up faster than maple, and even then only under heavy attack. I have a light touch with my fretless rosewood boards, and for added insurance, an acrylic coating. No wear and tear, ever.

16. Bass Guitar

Aug 13, 2001
    :)

Well, IME anyway. I tried flats on my fretless, and it just wasn't the same. I also experimented with the action, and found that the lower the strings were, the more mwah - my luthier equates mwah with buzz, but to me it's mwah.

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I meant about the fretboard sacrifice. I've only had one fretboard leveled ever and that was on a brand new bass.

18. Bass Guitar

Aug 13, 2001
    Oh I see. :)

Depends on the wood I suppose. How are you doing Brad? Long time no see.

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Doing fine. Hope all is well with you:)

20. TB's own Steve Lawson uses flatwound Elites on his Modulus 6string - sounds like plenty of mwah on opening track "the inner game" on his solo CD And Nothing But The Bass.