Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you get this too?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by budman, Apr 4, 2005.

1. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    A "player" sees one of my basses for the first time, either in person or in a picture. I'd say 9 times out of 10 the first question out of their mouth is, "but you bought the neck, right?". I politely respond, "No, I build my own necks from scratch". The next question is usually, "So you have a lathe?". :meh: I chuckle inside and after a "no" answer I explain the neck building process a little bit. I don't want to put anybody down, but I'm sure there are some good stories out there. :)

2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    My favorite is when you tell people that you built it, and then they ask "How did you do it?". Like you can tell them how to build a bass in a couple minutes.

3. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I get that all the time, but not the part about the lathe. I dunno why people get the idea that a neck is so hard.

4. Because I keep telling them it is! :meh: I have more trouble with getting perfection in my necks than anything else. It's frustrating - I can do everything on a neck - from design, fretting, refretting, defretting, make my own trussrods, radius my fingerboards, cutting nuts, inlay, inserts, repair - pretty much you name it. But I haven't been able yet to get all of these things to come together on a piece in a suitable way so that it doesn't ruin the rest of the instrument. I'm still diggin' though.

5. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    My guess is that from a player's perspective, it's the most crucial, most tactile part of the bass. So it has some mystique. The difference between a good neck and a bad neck can sometimes be pretty subtle, so anyone who can make good necks must be magical indeed!

6. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Awww, come on! Not buying it for a minute.

7. Well, c'mon over to the hovel for an afternoon and I'll show you the "pile"! :scowl: :D

8. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    as i work on my first project, building a neck still mystifies me. i bought my current neck for this project from Carvin. i need a new guitar so, i plan on using one of their neck-through necks for that. meanwhile, i am working on learning the techniques required to do the bodies.

once the guitar is done thought then i will attempt a neck. it is the part that can make or break an instrument.

9. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Like if somebody would build perfection :rolleyes:

Sublimeness in sound, superbness in playability and imperfection in detail
    That is the trade mark of supreme luthierie. Ever look into the details of a Strad?

The neck does take some attention, especially on the fingerboard side, but is not overwhelming.
    If you accept your human status. Those with devine ambitions will obviously not concur... :rolleyes:
    ;) ;)

10. My exclusive definition of "perfection" as of right now is, a playable neck approaching the quality of an Essex. I haven't attained even that yet. :scowl:

11. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Maybe you should try a lathe. :D

12. The band I'm in right now isn't permanent since I'm only with them until I'm done school and then it's back to the air force, whereas they are going on tour starting after next year (fortunately we just got signed).

So since I brought the bass I build and started playing it they have decided they like to joke that when they find a replacement he'd better make his own basses. It's funny to hear, but it doesn't seem to translate well into text.

13. They ought to put that in the next ad they run for your replacement. That would seperate the MEN from the boys!

14. Hmm, yeah, that's the trick! I could spin 'em off there two at a time and then just resaw that sucker down the middle and have a pair of equally...

crappy pieces of neckwood!

But maybe it would give me the opportunity to learn to fret in stereo.

15. I set my standards way up there so that when I go into my inevitable nosedive of failure, I can, hopefully, pull it out before I auger in. As my luck increases, I am able to pull up sooner and sooner. This last time, I managed to only graze my fuselage on the treetops before crashing in an onion field.

16. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Have you been watching "The right stuff" too much? Aimed for the stars, shot in the foot... :D

Yeah, one always go for the best (just above) possible, and then end up saving the day, eh, wood, eh, firewood, eh...well. :help: :D

17. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Keep the public thinking there is voodoo involved with making the necks. :D I do like the YOU Made the neck coments. To me that compliment is worth more that the "nice bass man" you get after that. Mr. bone you must be full of it I am sure your necks are just fine. :hyper: ....t

18. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Or you could mount 4 necks to a 4x4, one on each side, and radius four fingerboards at once. :eek:

19. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Sounds like a good idea to me! In fact you might fit eight of them onto an octagon...

20. M_A_T_T

M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    Canada
    I hate that...