Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you give money to the beggars and homeless on the street?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jun 27, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I dont usually give them money but I offer to buy them something to eat.How do you deal with these situations?.

2. Sometimes. Usually just a couple of bucks.

Mike

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    When I know I'm going to be in areas where the homeless are common I'll carry gift certificates for a local fast food restaurant. DO NOT GIVE the homeless money, in most cases there is addiction or mental illness involved. I've seen on more then one occasion a Homeless mother pleading for money so she can buy the kids "a meal or bus fare" while her destitute child is right beside her. I've seen the same homeless mother score crack or alcohol within minutes and then go back to the same corner to run the scam over again.

Do not encourage that lifestyle, in most cities there are organizations, churches, and shelters available, don't be afraid to intervene and get them in touch with people who can REALLY help them. Giving them money may make make you feel good, it will not help.

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I tend to look at the individual, and make an assessment.

Believe me, I've had plenty of experience in this domain.

There's some people out there, that are just hustlers, and don't deserve squat.

But there's other people out there, who need our help.

I give food, I give clothing, I give money, and I serve meals sometimes on Sunday mornings. Even to the alcoholics and addicts. If I perceive they're really in need, spiritually or otherwise, I do what I can.

We have a local network here, that collects day-old bread from the stores, and we make reasonable sandwiches out of it, that'll tide someone over for at least a day. We usually pass out some kind of soup as well, and on rare occasions we get a Denny's or something to contribute a real bacon & egg breakfast.

I personally have been out of the loop for a while, what with the medical issues and all, but for the last couple of weeks I've been back down there, and Nicky's been there too.

There's a lot of need, there surely is. It's pitifully easy for an otherwise sane and capable human being, to box himself/herself in, into a situation from which it's very difficult to escape.

Those are the people we look for. And if we can help "even one", we've done our job.

That's the way I look at it. IMO and all that. :)

5. I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but I don't give anyone money to feel better about myself. I give money because I feel like trying to help someone and, aside from my car keys or the shirt on my back, money is the only thing I have that might lead to a positive end.

Mike
    <edit> someone will chime in "time" any minute now. Since this question was specifically about beggars and homeless that I encounter on the street on a day-to-day basis, I did not include anything I may do through an organization.

Mike

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The other day I was strolling down the street with my girl and we had just come from the farmer's market and had bought some honey sticks, I had them resting in the front pocket of my shirt, and when homeless people asked me for money, the honey stick was more easily accessible than my (empty) wallet, so I'd give them one. Only one(out of 3) of them appreciated it(I think), the others looked pretty disgusted.

I dunno, I like honey sticks.

7. MAJOR METAL

+1
    That is why i dont give money. I would really hate to think the money i gave just went to the local crack daddy.

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No, because here they beg while still getting welfare (need money for drugs and/or alcohol), or they have to hand it over to some mobster org (true for all those Eastern European gypsy women you see begging in the streets nowadays).
    A female friend of mine is a social worker, and she strongly discourages giving money to beggars.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nope. I never have, and I never will. I have offered them a meal before, and they ask me for the cash instead.

-Mike

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I usually offer them my car keys instead. They'll just use the cash to buy drugs.

brad cook

11. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Let me ask y'all a question then, let's say you gave a buck or two to a crack addict or an alcoholic.

Is that such a bad thing?

What I mean is, even if such a person went right out and scored a bag of dope, that's what he/she "needs", right?

So, what's your motivation in donating?

Is it to do it on "your" terms, because of something that you personally would like to see these people accomplish?

Or is it because you "perceive a need" in the other person?

What's your real motivation? :eyebrow:

12. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Never. For many of the reasons already cited. I'll add that big cities have soup kitchens and the like, so food is available.

However, when they ask me for change I say, "Change comes from within brother," and stare deeply in their eyes until they get uncomfortable or freaked out or both.

13. I gave a blind homeless man living under the stairs at the parking lot of the Braves Stadium in Atlanta some money once. People were passing him by and just ignoring him and I put a five in his cup and he stopped me and felt my face and said " Thank ya young sir" . Im pretty sure he was genuine.

14. MAJOR METAL

To Aleviate the Suffering but i would rather do so in making sure the person has food as opposed to smack.

15. I'm not sure if this answers your question, but I'm guilty of giving a homeless person a beer and a cigarette because that's what he asked for. I included a little money, as well, hoping he might buy something he needed later (food, clothes, whatever). Do I feel guilty? No. He was over 21, obviously not driving, and probably had a worse day than I did.

Mike

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No. Sometimes I give them food, but usually I just say "Get a job." ~ Bruce Hornsby

17. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    That's just the way it is. Somethings will never change.

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well put.

19. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    +1 on the mobster org; they recrute disabled people in Eastern Europe to beg here, the beggers themself usually get very little of the money they've recieved.

20. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    A starving smack addict will go for the bag every time.

This is an interesting issue, because the gov supposedly has agencies to help people out, but one really has to consider the "transition", IMO.

For instance, it can be extremely fatal to force an alcoholic to withdraw "instantly". I've done some considerable work with alcoholics, and I've seen some very ugly stuff, seizures and all that kind of thing.

Smack is probably a little better than alcohol in that regard, 'cause as long as the person has his bag or two every day, he's not going to get desperate. But force a person like that to withdraw on a dime, and I can guarantee you that "desperation" will enter into the equation.

So, that's kinda what I was asking. When you give a buck or two to a smack addict, what are you really trying to accomplish?

I have a big pile of business cards, that I pass out to people on the street. They contain phone numbers, for all kinds of public and private agencies.

But I still give them a buck or two, except for the ones that are clearly hustlers (I can tell, been there done that).

Change has to come from within, IMO. And sometimes, things like that just have to run their course.

But is that really enough reason "not" to help?

(Just asking)... :)