1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you go through red lights if it's really late?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Skel, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Two questions:

1. If it's really late out and you're sitting there at a red light with nobody within 10 miles of you either direction, do you just go?

2. I know this sounds ridiculous but, is there a correct way to put toilet paper on the holder?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    No. I'll make a couple free rights.

-Mike

3. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    1. I'll stop, and give it about 10 seconds before I run it.

2. TP ALWAYS goes with the free end coming over the top....never under!!! :spit:

4. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    I get realluy tempted to go through red lights (especially left turn lights) when no one is around, but I'm always a little afraid that I'll get caught or something bad will happen. So I just wait it out.

Sencond question. I can't stand when people put the roll one where the paper falls closest to the wall. I have to have it falling over the top, away from the wall. So "forward"
    To elucidate...if you were looking at the roll from the side if you were to the left of it, it'd have to rotate counter-clockwise.

I over analyze way too often.

5. If there's no one around, it doesn't matter what time it is. For TP, it depends if it's on the first or second use. Save a tree, conserve paper :bag:

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I don't run the reds, even if I can't hear another car for miles. You never know when someone is going to step out into the road and ruin your no claims bonus. I just take my time and be patient. Plus, the music I listen to in my car is so good I feel tempted to stretch every journey just to fit a couple of more minutes in!

And TP should always come forward, to minimise chances of contact with the wall. Believe me, you don't want to step out of a hot shower which has steamed up the bathroom to find out you've ruined the TP! :meh:

7. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Ha! Wow...aren't *we* a sophisticated set of people groups.

Ok, I put the roll on the wrong way....no wonder my house won't sell. Thanks for the info.

8. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    There is a light on my way to work that runs on sensors late nights and early mornings. There is a bad sensor in the lane that I need to be in and sometimes it just isn't going to turn green. If nobody is around, then I'll back up a bit and re-approach the stop line. If that doesn't trip the sensor, and no other cars are around in any direction - then I'll just go.

If it's a red light that isn't stuck, then I'll wait for it no matter what. I'll wait for it to turn green even if it's 4:00 AM and there are no other cars in sight.

Yes. Loose paper end over the top of the roll. I heard Homer Simpson refer to this as "proper over hand fashion" on an episode of the Simpson's.

My wife tends to get this wrong entirely too often when she installs a new roll of toilet paper. I think it's because girls play softball and pitch underhand.

Clearly, it's directly related to how you would throw a baseball.

9. I don't care what time it is, I just wait for the red lights. Personally, I am usually never in that much of a rush, and plus I enjoy driving and listening to music in the car. I don't see why people bother going through red lights, the only pro I see is saving a couple of minutes, but there are many more severe cons.

10. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I have to admit, I respect the person who will not go. I just find myself sitting there asking myself "Why am I sitting here waiting for a light to turn a different color? I can SEE that there is nobody for 10 miles"

Regarding your wife, to this day I don't get the thing where they get all bent out of shape about the toilet seat...why can't they just put it down if you leave it up? I don't see the problem.

11. Amen.

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    That might be the funniest thing I've read all day! :D Top marks!

13. clavefa

clavefa Te Traigo El Tumbao

I have, but here in Chicago people run so often even at regular hours that they have begun installing cameras that will
    click if you eat a red.

As for TP, I dont even put it on a holder. I like to roll it up like a big ole mit. Haha

14. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    I just can't imagine how dumb I would feel getting a moving violation trying to shave 30 seconds. I wait.

(Unless, as someone pointed out, a sensor is obviously broken, and you've waited through several cycles.)

15. i stop completely...loook for any cars ANYWHERE in sight, look for the reflector strips of a cop car, then go.

tp always goes so it hangs on the outside, not on the inside.

16. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    No. I'll usually wait the extra 6 seconds...I'm in no hurry. And when I am in a hurry, my car has a magical superpower where I never get a single red light.

17. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Yes, relative to the wall..I understand and it's great to know that since I *didn't* know previously, and done both without thinking about it, I've accidentally offended people on an inconsistent basis for many years now. Darn. If the paper touched the wall....that would be awful.

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

No , only a right on red that is permited.

19. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I never run it, on the off chance that I will get nailed. I once waited 7 minutes for a stuck red at 4am. After five minutes I got out of the car, took a leak on the side of the road and got back in. It was still red. Eventually another car showed up on the other side of the intersection and it turned green. Nice.

20. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    When it comes to toilet seats I always put the seat AND the lid down. I'm afraid of dropping something like my toothbrush in it.

I never run red lights, but if I'm turning left at an intersection where I know the timing of the lights I'll make a right on red, and pull a u-turn instead of waiting for the left turn lane to go green.