Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you guys cut your strings or use them whole???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Funkster, Oct 9, 2000.

1. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I have heard a couple of things from other players around the area say that they use the whole string because if you cut them you do something to the tension and they have a chance of coming unwound. Do you guy's cut them to length or do you use them whole. I personally always took a little off the end.

2. jfsjbb

jfsjbb

Aug 29, 2000
    Cut them.

If you wind them around the peg without cutting them, you may have um to 10 turns of string on your peg. That results in slack, slack results in out-of-tune strings.

You don't need more than two turns of string on the peg. If you work carefully, less than one can be enough (that's rather chancy, but it works).

I never had any problem with unwinding strings (Maxima Golds).

3. I cut mine to the length of the string I'm replacing, but before I make the cut, I use a small pair of pliers to kink the string, just below where I intend to make the cut - this helps to prevent the winding unravelling. I make the cut a couple of millimetres above the kink.

"...snip!"

- Wil

4. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I've posted this before, but here goes again. I read somewhere( I think in BP a long time ago) that Nathan East and Lee Sklar advocate not cutting strings and not winding them around the post by hand, i.e. turning the key instead of wrapping around the post the first few times. They said that you can hear a difference. That the sustain is better when you use the full length of the string and when the string is wound around the post so that it wraps naturally. I think it's a bunch of crap. I cut my strings and I wind them on by hand.

Chris A.:rolleyes:

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Cut and wind

6. I think it's best to have about two wraps on the pegs. Cut the string down so that you have that. With practice, you'll know how much slack to give the string when you put it on to acheive that result. But, before you cut it, bend the string at at least 90 degrees and cut behind the bend. This will help reduce any loosening of the outer wrap.

7. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I always cut my strings so that they extend about 2 inches past the post. I've never had a string come unwound after I cut it either.

8. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    Hi,

Brian and Wil's advice is spot on. I use DR's and it gives clear instructions on how to avoid the string unwinding. The point you cut should be 3 inches past the tuning peg, bend half and inch or so of the string through 90 degrees before you cut (this stops the unwinding). Personally I then put the 90 degree part of the string in the base of the tuning peg, keep up the tension with my hand and tune up to pitch. You don't need more than 2 complete wraps.

P.S. DR's also tell you not to overstretch the string after you've put them on. Although that advice may only apply to DRs.

9. Cut it...
    :)

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Cutting is the way to go...

Will C.:cool:

11. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    Looks like I'm the minority here. I don't cut my strings. My bass is a 35 inch scale string-through-body kind so with that extra distance, I don't find that I have to make too many turns of the peg.

12. Whilst Nathan East and Lee Sklar are two of my favourite players, I have tried both ways, and as someone said, it's crap. Makes no diff. to the sound IMO. Cut 'em!

13. If you have the old Fender style tuning post cut them 5" this includes the 1/2" you will stick in the post.

14. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Well, I've done it both ways, but lately I haven't been cutting them. I've had some problems with funny-sounding strings and I'm trying to figure it out. Of course, now I have a big ball of string around the E post, but once the strings settle in, I don't have trouble with them going out of tune.

15. Reg

Reg

Aug 19, 2000
    im not 100% sure, but i think that d'addario reccomend that you only have bout 2 winds round the post (ie. cut em)

i tink i got that from there catalog.

p.s damn d'addario fretless "chromes" are damned expencive and really hard to get hold of in NZ, aaarrrggg

16. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Ok, i've never changed my strings on my MIM Jazz [the guy @ the store does it] so heres my question & i think it kinda fits in with this post. How far past the tuning post should i cut them & where should i put the right angle so that it fits into the tuning post thing? the reason for this is that i broke 2 strings [E & G] last night @ a party right before playing a song & i'm thinking i should take back ups for now on or @ least until i get another bass so that all i'd have to do is go to fretless [or fretted] depending on which one has broken strings. Any help, tia

17. on my Precision Plus I only trim the E string to keep the number of turns down on the machinehead; the A string post ends up with a lot of turns on it, but that helps put more pressure on the nut to stop it buzzing when played open, which I think is a common problem on the A strings of Fenders.
    (on the Warmoth P-bass I'm building I've put roller string trees on the headstock to put more pressure on all the strings at the nut).

18. reveille_509

reveille_509

Aug 17, 2000
    That is a problem with my Fender A string. Why is that?

19. I think it's due to the insufficient break angle of the A string between the nut and machinehead, as the headstock is in line with the neck and not angled back. the E string has a sharper break angle as it's closer to the nut, and the D and G have the round string retainer, so those strings don't rattle when played open.

20. i have been cutting and hand winding for 15 years and i have never had a problem, i had more problems when i didn't cut