1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you guys ever drive the front end of an SVT?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by James Lugo, May 27, 2012.

1. James Lugo

James Lugo

May 29, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I read the other day somewhere and I guy said he liked to use a Sansamp Bass Driver in front of his SVT to drive the amp. Do any of you guys do it? Is it cool? I see there's the original one and a 3 channel programmable one, any sonic difference?

I ask cause I have a '78 SVT and it sounds awesome but sometimes I want some more stank on it with my Nash P Bass. I tried my Maxon 808 and OCD this week and no matter how I set them they was to much gain. I'm just looking for more growl and note definition. I was listening to an old Rush live video and you could hear every note so clearly on Geddy's rig. To me it sounded more then just good playing chops. It almost sounded like some slight gain in the signal path.

???

2. Grrface

Grrface

Jun 26, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    What you're looking for is a boost. You just wanna push those tubes to breakup.

3. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    I think most users use the sansamp to obtain OD at lower volume as the SVT can be too load when it reaches tube breakup.

4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
  5. I would recommend an Oh See Demon, based on the OCD but more bass friendly and can get milder the the OCD. Not a fan of "clean" boosts as they boost the entire frequency spectrum and I find things get way to mushy when I push the front end of an amp. If you really want a booster I recommend you look at some treble boosters like the Beano Boost. I find treble boosters create a much more pleasing sound than clean boosts.

When I was trying to do the same thing as you I ended up with the Rothwell Atomic Booster. It pushed the amp nicely but I was able to maintain definition and saved my speakers.

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Rig is an SVT and AC30. I'm using a Trex Bass Juice set very, very dirty the entire time. However, it has some pretty easy to dial in low gain settings. They can be found pretty easily for about 120.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I use a VT Deluxe for overdrive on my SVT and B-15. I can't even turn up a B-15 to distortion on my gigs, so I have to turn to pedals for it. It's not an always-on thing but only when I need it.

8. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Xotic RC Bass (black one) or RC (white one) for more drive.
    They are the only drive pedals that don' sound buzzy or mushy!!!

9. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science!

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    The ''ONLY'' ones, really? Nah! There are dozens of non-buzzy options. Different pedals work differently for different people! :)

10. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Might just be different eq? Traditionally/conventionally speaking, overdrive doesn't help 'definition'. It can help to highlight note attack though... If you were listening to an old Rush production video, you are likely hearing a combined MIX of a 'dirty' amp and cleaner direct signal. That way, you get the crunchiness of the amp (and whatever pedals might be feeding it) and the clarity of the direct signal.

I, for the life of me, can't dial in a sansamp into amp tone that I like. I have friends that make it work great though! (Everyone plays different & gear responds differently as a result...)

Another route to experiment with is clean blending. There are both pedals with a 'mix' option and desperate 'blender' pedals that allow you to dial whatever distorted tone you want, but then mix in clean signal to compensate for anything that sounds too processed (whether it be loss of low end, puch or clarity, etc.). This is an increasingly popular method & works amazingly well for me!

Also look at lower gain pedals such as the Green Rhino, Xotic RC or BB (BB with gain set very low), Tech21 VT, etc...

11. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    he hasn't tried a tone factor cream pie :)

12. +1
    Cream Pie all the way

13. this is where these threads get confusing. are we talking about pushing the amp into overdrive or are we talking about pedals that sound like the amp is overdriving? two very different things and some pedals are better at doing one over the other.

14. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    True. The op is really asking 3 questions:
    1) who's using a sansamp in front of their SVT & how is it working out
    2) he wants to know how to get a little more crunch from his SVT
    3) he likes Teddy's tone on a video & wants to get something similar (additionally making an assumption that it is the amp only that he's hearing)

Making a distinction about HOW to approach the desired clipping is probably necessary. Then, what are some options.

As per TB usual, most responses will simply list what posters currently favor of course! ;)

15. of course, that goes without saying.

16. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I don't. I just crank the gain and control the overall volume with the master (realizing that older SVTs don't have a master).

17. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Sorry,
    I hit reply before completing/proofreading..

The only ones I tried!