1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do you guys ever??

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jamescalvin, May 1, 2006.

1. jamescalvin

jamescalvin

Jan 10, 2006
    Orange County
    Get stuck playing the same type of bassline pattern? Not for one song, just in general, you play a certain type of way and it seems like all your songs kind of sound like that. I've been doing that lately and my brain feels like it's in an infinite loop or something, playing the same type of thing over and over again. My solos and everything, how do you guys get around that??

2. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    My guitarist does this way too often. I do it too, sometimes, but I try to break myself of it by jamming on a cover tune. It makes me play something different than what I would normally write when I'm in that loop, and breaks me of it.

3. jamescalvin

jamescalvin

Jan 10, 2006
    Orange County
    So when you say "by jamming on a cover tune" do you mean just playing something from a cover or do you mean practicing to a cover and following that rhythm?

4. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Yep, suffer from that too.

Basically I just try playing something different and if thats not working I put the bass down and go find something else to do for a while then come back to it.

5. I find that if I don't study and learn anything new at least twice a week my playing suffers and falls into 'repetitive' zone. Same old block patterns...

6. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    yeah i kinda get stuck on the blcok patterns too, Listening to some jaco really helps me out of it.

7. jamescalvin

jamescalvin

Jan 10, 2006
    Orange County
    That's crazy you said that, I've been trying the same thing with Jaco too.

8. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    This is one problem from playing say rock and roll lots of repeated chords and patterns that repeat year after year band after band its just change the way they are played and add effects keys etc. look at AC/DC they are masters of using the same chords and sounds and putting out great rock if you know a handfull of their tunes soon you can play 50. there is nothing wrong with this ...i love it but it gets old and we develop patterns and bad habits. Thats why the post on Jaco was so true ...you gotta go to those crazy jazz cats cuz they play so free and improv...nothing is the old standard A,D ,E boom ..boom.. crash..crash.. lol...as bass players in a band like mine classic rock their are no solos so we play alot of repeat type bass patterns...it is part of the job...if i get bored i guess i better get a whole lot better and go learn jazz.

9. i used to...then i listened to the roots and that opened up a whole paradox for me....i havent rehersed a solo or fills in ages, i learn a basic idea of a song and always add different sorta fills when i feel they'll fit....solos...man i just play, i may have a few ideas around dynamics, but ill just signal that to my drummer about a bar before hand...dont be too fussed on perfection...get lost in the moment

thats how i got myself going

10. Someplayers do seem to live in their "Go to comfort zone of licks" but I think that more often then not, a lot of us are hyper-critical of what we do and all to easily recognize when we are finding our way into that 'Go to..." space again, and again, even when it is not apparent to anyone else.

What I have learned is that "YOU" are so much more aware of that situation then those who are listening to you. It can lead to a personal dissatisfaction with your playing - but every player; guitar, bass, drummer, pan floutist - they all feel like they do that. Some really are 'one-trick ponies' and others are just very self-conscious of their playing and feel like they keep running into the same old lines and phrases.

On the good side of the equasion, this can lead to you being a very easy player to work with after people get to know your style and your choice of 'Go To' phrases and licks. On the bad side - if it gets you down and makes you unhappy with your style it can be debilitating and counter productive.

So in conclusion I would say that everyone does it or feels like they do. There is always someone who has more tricks then you and you are that same someone to someone else. Keep practicing - keep expanding your horizons and try not to let the feeling that you are 'Johnny repetition' make you feel bad about your playing.

--tz