Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you guys jump around while playing the bass?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Airsick Pilot, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Yes!

73 vote(s)
    49.0%
  2. Urgh...No....

76 vote(s)
    51.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Okay I've set this poll up out of sheer curiosity. Do you guys ever jump about while playing the bass...I tried doing that when I'm really hyper but its kinda hard sometimes..Are there any secrets to jumping while playing the bass flawlessly?

CHEERS!

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

The only people I've seen who jump around while playing the bass are generally terrible. So I don't know about playing "flawlessly"...

3. I jump around and play adaequately, the problem is I usually hit people :eek:

Jump when there's a break in the music, there aren't any real secrets. Its nigh impossible to be in the air, play bass, and land without injury, so don't try.

4. I started jumping around while playing when I joined the band that I'm in now. It just seemed innapropriate to be standing perfectly still while playing energetic music. I too have a problem with hitting people, but its usually just the singer :p. Actually, I did almost seriously injure him with the headstock once. You've gotta watch that.

As for tips, I'm not sure. My lines aren't overly complicated, so I have no problem.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Yes. The secret is to practice your "jumping around" technique to the point where it's completely automatic, and worry about your bass playing later. You'd think it would be the other way around, but this is the truth. Why? Because once you've mastered your jumping technique, you can devote all of your energy to playing the bass without worrying about whether or not you look cool since you'll already know that you're kicking loads of visual @$$ and exuding oodles of confident stage presence.

I mean, think about it - what would be worse: Falling down on stage from a mistimed jump, or missing a note or two? When looked at from this perspective, it becomes obvious that proper jumping technique is paramount.

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    hey d00dz i once flung my bazz backwards while jumping :cool:

also: mental image of Chris Fitz jumping with his DB is priceless :D

7. Flea 1

Flea 1

Nov 16, 2002
    Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers jumps about and does whattever else he does you cant call him terrible now can you he's one of the worlds greatest bassists.

8. RyKnoz

RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    NYC
    He's good but I don't think he's one of the greastest, just my opinion.

9. I did a perfect hip check to get rid of annoying snugglemuffin who kept getting on the stage while we were playing. Sent him flying and I didn't miss a note but my strap came loose so I had to stop for a second to fix it. That was during a show in Montreal with Doom (for a day). There's pictures at www.woundedpaw.com so you can see the crazy punks in Montreal for yourself.

10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I have seen them live. and when he does jump around to much..... guess what,,,, he sucks. he's a good player. but music doesnt have anything to do with you looking cool and jumping around like a dumb@$$. "LOOK AT ME! NOT THE SINGER! LOOK AT ME! NOT THE SINGER!"

11. modernday

modernday

Oct 20, 2002
    St. Paul
    **** yeah I jump around while I play. When you practice your songs with your band, practice jumping and playing. Then pretty soon, you'll be able to both at the same time flawlessly.

www.moderndaysupplement.com

12. Only if I desperately need to go to the bathroom.

13. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    :D

14. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Oh god man, that made my day. i'm sitting here almost craping my pants.

15. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    You really shouldn't be thinking about jumping...should be second nature, just a result of your energy. And obviously you don't jump around when doing complicated bass solos or anything.

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Here are some other tips that I use:

1) Practice with ankle weights. Let's face it, your bass is probably going to be, (assuming your cool), slung down to just about knee-level. While it's hard to simulate that without the bass on, (and EVERYONE knows you should first practice without your bass on, you wouldn't want to damage that expensive bass, right?), you can get a similar effect with the ankle weights. Don't get too heavy ones though, or else the first time you take them off you'll go right through the roof!!!

2) Proper back technique. Pay extra special attention to this. Since your bass will be at about calf level, (let's be honest, only dorks have it as high as their knees), you'll need to dramatically hunch over, unless you're built like a weak-kneed contortionist. Trust me, it's not easy to have your back hunched over, focus on slapping the shiznit out of your bass, and keep your hair out of your eyes.

3) Get a huge mirror. Look, let's just be frank, if you don't look good playing, you don't sound good playing. It's just as simple as that. If you can't see yourself doing this, how do you know you look cool enough. You could also videotape yourself.

4) Are you wearing heavy clothes? Doc Martens, other heavy boots. Chains, dog collars, metal, spikes, chainmail? Anything like this is going to weigh you down. Dress light. Dark colors, (which look cooler anyway), are lighter, everyone knows that. Wear lots of black.

5) How heavy is your bass? Speaking of heavy clothes, when your bass is slung down around your ankles, (I mean, c'mon, who wears it as high as their calves anymore? Dorks! That's who!), you don't want some heavy Fender or sumthin' down der. Represent.

6) Use transparent stickers. Don't, I repeat, DO NOT, use sparkly stickers. Picture this, you're playing your butt off, you're loud, in charge, slapping quicker and shaking more than Michael J. Fox having an orgasm during an 8.5 earthquake, your bass is slung down below your feet and up around your back, and your shiny stickers elude the fog machine, with the disco light, and catch your eye at the right angle. You're going down quicker than Monica Lewinsky with a high ankle sprain. Be very careful.

7) Play LOUD! I'm assuming you're using two 810s. You should be anyway. If you turn it to e-lev-en, then the stage will shake and rumble while you slap the crap out of your low B string, (please tell me you ARE playing a 5 string bass!), and the shaking will help you get lift.

8) Try practicing on a trampoline. This time-honored method is really going to test your focus at extreme heights.

Good luck. God speed.

17. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    hey Jazzbo

what about "rhytmic jumping"?

I mean, do you have any tips about that??

like jumping on the 2nd and 4th beats (on a 4/4)

1&2&3&4

metronome suggested??

18. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

I sing in my band so i really don't get much of a chance to, but when I do, I generally nail my poor guitar player so usually I don't and if I do, it's at the end of a song

19. So, you can relate huh? Hammer-ons take on a whole new meaning when you're bouncing around in agony, holding on to your crotch for dear life with your plucking/picking hand, all while trying not to miss a note and still appear to be in complete control. Try that while playing a samba - very strange image.

20. TWISTED

TWISTED Guest

Sep 8, 2002
    Perth, Australia
    The poll should have the option "Yes, but only when completely loaded". As I don't see too many church bands jumping around. If you do jump around sober you may well be a poser. Maybe members of the Chilli Peppers jump around sober, I don't know but remember people they've had more drugs than we'll probably see in a lifetime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.