Do you guys like flat wound?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Levi, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Levi

Apr 4, 2004
    may seem like a stupid question..

I don't like flatwound for slap, but it there are pretty nice just playing. Does anyone here likes flatwound for slap?
  2. alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    Yuk! Flatwound for slap....No Way! You can't get that punch and attack you need for a good slap tone. But hey....some might like it!!
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I like some of the brighter flatwounds for slapping, like the ones that Steve Harris uses. Can't remember the brand off of the top of my head. Get a nice slap tone, without the harshness of a roundwound string. But most flatwounds are too muddy for my preferred slap tone. And I can easily EQ out the harshness of rounds, so I usually just use them. They have a lot more harmonic content than flatwounds, which I need for my original music. And the harshness is necessary when playing with distorted guitars, it helps me cut through.

I am moving this to our Strings forum.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I own two Fender RB5 basses. I justify this by keeping a set of Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats on one of them. I use my TI equipped bass on a fairly regular basis... it sounds great with my country/blues band. I once brought this bass to a rehearsal with one of my other bands, and one of the songs we were learning was "Aeroplane" by the Chili Peppers. The TI flats sounded surprisingly punchy when slapped! They weren't crisp and pingy like rounds, but they weren't all dead and flabby either.

Overall, I do prefer roundwounds and have them on the rest of my basses. I even prefer the *feel* of rounds... flats feel sticky to my fingertips. But flats have a tone of their own and as noted it's nice to use 'em from time to time.
  5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I vastly dislike flats for slap. It's not only the sound, but the feel too. Flatwounds feel to "slick" for slapping and it can be easier to miss the occasional note whilst wanking away because sometimes they just wouldn't let itself be gripped by the pad of the finger in the middle of the sixteenth note pop fill.
  6. Levi

Apr 4, 2004
    out of round and nickel which do ya'll like? I go for nickel
  7. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Are you sure you phrased that right for what you want to ask?
  8. I like flats fine for slap. They are different though; they make more of a snap sound than a trebly zap.
  9. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I like/use flats for my fretless for two reasons:

a) to protect the rosewood fretboard
    b) due to my personal dislike of the slap tone with flats, it keeps me from slapping on my fretless, which saves the base of my fretboard.
  10. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>>>> Steve Harris is a Rotosound endorsee. They have
    a set named after him, the SH-77 set guaged 50-110.

11. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I use TI Flats on my Lightwave.
  12. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have my upgraded P bass strung with flats for the old school blues and classic rock jams. no slapping allowed, just finger style.

It's a nice diversion from all my other basses which are strung with round wounds (used especially for slapping).
  13. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I love flats on my Pbass very motown:D
  14. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I love flats for everything!! :cool:

Give me TI's or give me death.
  15. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Do some search. I guess Treena posted something where you can hear slap on TI Flats.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I like using them on some of my semi hollow basses, mainly the Violin Basses. I think they really work well when i do acoustic projects.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I also have a set of TI Jazz flats on my Warwick Infinity LTD 2000, their some nice strings but i think the bass plays best with rounds.
  18. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
  19. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK

Not sure why this got bumped, but I'll play.

I think TI flats sound great for slap. I switched to flats a few month ago, but took 'em off once because I "thought" I was missing something in the slap department. I switched back within a day. Yeah, there is less zing, but the thumb thump is just devastating, and very addicting. They also force you to slow down and focus on the funk, instead of just throwing out a wall of notes. My slap groove has improved immensely since switching to flats. It ain't for everyone, but right now it is suiting me very well. :cool: