Do you guys play DB aswell as electric bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ras1983, May 5, 2005.

1. yes i play both. i'm an addict for all things bass.

33 vote(s)
  2. i just play Double bass.

0 vote(s)
  3. i just play electric bass.

17 vote(s)
  1. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Just wanna know how many tb'ers play double bass and electric bass. i've been toying with the idea of getting a double bass WAY down the track.

just something about that muted thump ;)
  2. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Why way down the track? The big beast isn't that scary. It only took me a month to start playing DB on gigs.
  3. My band was going to do an acoustic show, I borrowed a DB to see what I could do. It kicked my ass and handed it back to me.

My back is shot, so the standing in an awkward position put it out, then getting used to the scale was difficult. Rather than play crappy I opted to not play.
  4. I play both. I started on DB and picked up BG later.
    After back surgery, I play fretless BG more, but nothing sounds like a doublebass but a doublebass ;)
  5. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    I played bass guitar first, then I took lessons on double bass. I would consider myself very competent (but definitely not good enough to play gigs) on double bass. At this point I can play double bass well enough for jamming with my brother, and playing in my folk duo where I don't do anything fancy.
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I just play electric. I've never really seen the connection sonically between the two. I know the can both have the same "role" in a situation and both have the word bass associated with them, but it's always seemed apples to oranges to me.
  7. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    They are different instruments but there is more similarity between BG and DB than, say, between DB and tuba.
  8. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I just play electric, but I want a double bass.
  9. I just started last week taking DB lessons after playing BG for 4 years. It kicked my ass. But i'm slowly getting used to it...slowly..

Kyle Rindinella
  10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Both. Played electric for decades, and learning DB was the best thing that ever happened to my electric playing . . .
  11. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I got an EUB last year, and I play it on gigs about 75% of the time these days. I had a "real" upright for a while a zillion years ago, but I'm down with the pogo stick now. :bassist:
  12. nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    i play DB at school, and electric at home
  13. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I play both. I've played BG for about 8 years, and DB for a little over 4 years. In high school-i've played [overall] probably a 50/50 split. I'm going to college for it and the guy let's us play both [it's expected]. That's all
  14. I rented one, took some lessons and played for a few months but had to give it up due to living conditions. I definately dig it and need to get one again soon.
  15. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I can get by on electric upright, if that counts.
  16. I would say electric upright still counts, regardless of the fact that is takes much less effort than a full to 3/4 size real DB does. You have my respect for stepping out of your comfort zone, but not in the pain you would have had to endure on a real DB. Granted, I never had to make the transition because I started on DB, but I just like seeing BGists writhe in pain trying to adjust. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

If you want to improve both your DB and BG, just take private lessons on DB for a while...and really strive to go somewhere. Get ambitious, otherwise you will get stagnant with your learning.

And that's all I have to say about that.
  17. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I got roped into playing DB in high school, got hooked, and wasn't allowed to take it with me (big shock, right?) I finally got off my tuckus and bought one, and love it as much as I love my Steiny.
  18. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I play electric but I'm going to start playing DB at school.
  19. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I just play BG, but lately I've been playing ABG almost as much as EBG.