Do you guys take your pickguards off?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Airsick Pilot, May 10, 2003.

1. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Just curious, have you guys ever take your pickguards off? I might just do that if I ever get a Jazz bass in the future.
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    you'll have to find an older one... new ones have a large route
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Only when I wash my bass.
  4. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I took mine off, filled the holes and tung-oiled it.
    It's also sporting an aftermarket lined Ebony neck that's just wonderful.
    It's showing some wear that I should probably touch up, but wear never bothered me.
    Here's a pic:
  5. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    What did you fill the holes with?
  6. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    NIce J Zombywoof.

I took the 'guard off of my fretless for a couple of years while I was doing the ocasional Pino Palladino ripoff. (slapping on fretless with an octaver and chorus, a very cool sound but eventually it got old.)

Then when I sold my main fretted to get another fretted, I fixed my fretless up. So now it is a white '89 fretless Jazz with a black pearloid pickguard, EMG's and a Schaller roller bridge. I have a '89 white Strat as well and am considering getting a black pearloid 'guard for it too. A matching pair would be cool.
  7. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Plastic Wood, which darkened when the tung-oil got on it, doesn't bother me though, IMO it's still better than holes. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably use some of the dust left over from sanding the body, but I did this about 13 years ago (not the neck and chrome, those were recent) and didn't know any better at the time.

Thanks,'s an awesome bass!
  8. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Haha, I got snagged there.

On the new Burns I got, I was going to do that, or swap it for a different colored P/G until till I found out that the 'microphonic' pups were mounted on the pickguard, and the cavity underneath it was designed to give it a more 'hollowbody' tone.
    Weird but wonderful.

On my other axe, the '63 Gibson EB3, doing that would seriously decrease its value. I don't really own it anymore, I am just preserving it for posterity. I will be having a big birthday bash for it in 10 years.

I would need more of a basher to play with. The above Fender came out nice though.

Wouldn't mind 'rehabing' an '80s MIJ like that if I could find one.
  9. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    was going to take the white pickguard off and put a clear one on... but... forgot I had a recent MIA P-Bass.. routing all under the bass.. so I guess I'll stick with the white guard