Do you guys think I am crazy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gary mitchell, Jan 13, 2015.

1. 1505239_10152947531304276_7147329577901872391_n.jpg I have a Fender aka(cowpoke) bass 1996 model. Its in pretty nice condition, I would say maybe a 8 1/2 to 9 out of 10. Everything works on it with out any issues and its black. They don't have a big resale value I have heard, but I do like the bass a lot.. Anyway to get back to the crazy, I have a friend who is a amazing Luthier. We were talking and thought it would be cool to repaint it. Maybe a Salmon or a coral color with matching headstock. He also he could put the original looking Fender logo on the headstock. Do you guys think this would look cool, or is it just me and my dumb brain. And it would have black hardware on it.

2. Locky66

Locky66

Mar 1, 2014
    West Michigan
    Dont think your crazy. If you don't like it then redo to something different.

Doctor Hugocat likes this.
  3. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

Mar 13, 2014
    I don't know if the Cowpoke will ever be collectible. I just wouldn't mod one based on availability. They aren't all that common.

My rule is: never mod a U.S. or Ensenada Fender.

4. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

Yes, go for it. Then post some pics. :)

Wait.. what's a cowpoke bass?

Found it. A bit like my 60th P in looks but with a Jazz pup.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  5. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

Mar 13, 2014
    I always assumed it's a bass made from leftover parts from the previous Precision Plus Deluxe Series, with some Standard hardware.

6. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I haven't read any of the posts, I just got a feeling, I think you're crazy.

7. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Crazy?
    Absolutely!
    Can't wait to see it wearing it's new color! :D

8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Unlikely that the bass will be highly collectible, but I agree with ODB.

9. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

Based on the available information neither myself, nor the voices in my head think you are crazy...

10. I'm mainly one for keeping things standard, but that's just me as a player.

If you want something salmon/Fiesta red, why not get a Road Worn Precision/Jazz?

11. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Personally, I sincerely believe everyone's crazy, it's the ones who pretend they aren't that you really have to watch out for! There is no "normal". :D

LedReign likes this.
  12. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Sorry... I got distracted texting my BFF's.

What was your question?

Don't do a refin on a bass that's 8-1/2 or 9 out of 10.

If it were thrashed - different story.

13. ReneB

ReneB

Dec 6, 2014
    Ithaca, NY
    I don't think you're any crazier than the rest of us.

As for the bass and modding it, I say go for it. Given that your friend is knowledgeable and experienced, the worst that can happen is you don't like how it turns out so you can just redo it. Of course that sets aside any effect on any monetary value as a collectible or as stock bass, but that's a whole different issue.

14. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I'd go for it.

15. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    +1, also if it DOES become collectible at a later date you will have screwed that up.

16. Jake72

Jake72

Jul 26, 2014
    Maple Valley, WA
    If you can get a professional finish on it, do it! it's not like you're hitting it with a krylon rattle-can....

17. Spirit of Ox

Spirit of Ox Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Chelsea Mass
    I've had two Cowpokes in my days. One of them my lil brother has. I hated the electronics so I replaced them with Seymour Duncan Hots. Just a volume for each pickup. His is black and I will probably end up buying it back from him own day.
    I always wanted to get a different color pickguard. I would love to see a nice vibrant red tortoise shell pickguard on that bass.
    If you want to change the color, I say go for it. It will ruin the monetary value but at the same time it would increase the value as well. I don't know if that makes sense but I feel like it does.

18. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    And I have a feeling the price will go up on them. I remember when 1970s Fenders were considered junk.

HolmeBass likes this.
  19. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    The famous hippie refin. I did my '65 Jazz like that back around 1970. Could have been me in that pic. Cowpokes are cool, but better a cowpoke than a '65. ;)

20. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    No.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021