Do you hang or Case your bass....?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dr. D, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Dr. D

Dr. D Loaded For Bear

Jan 13, 2005
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    I recently Built a Music room, and have 2 basses, and 5 guitars. Not having a lot of wall decorations, and wanting to have easy access to my Babies, I bought hercules wall hangers for them all. I love the looks, but Is it bad for the Instruments. It did change the tuning on all, and they don't stay 100% in tune all the time like they did in the case's

Can anyone Give an opinion????
  2. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    sounds weird but plausible, if youre having probs with that just buy a multi-stand.

I always keep one bass on a gigbag, other is in the hardshell case and the last one on the gig-stand.
  3. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

in our household. My wifes LP jr, the kids strat, an old kingston (for looks and nostalgia), an old Decca bass (looks coll and nostalgia).

We case my Guild bass because some little m#%^&*#$ kid gouged it when it was on the stand. We also case the Gibson acoustic fro 1902 and my Ibanez acoustic.

I wish the house lay out allowed for all to hang on the wall and all of the amps to be out and accessible.

Best of Luck,
    WEsley R.
  4. Nazman

Mar 4, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    I hang mine and it has never had a problem with tuning
  5. Dr. D

Dr. D Loaded For Bear

Jan 13, 2005
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    I figure it is just taking time for the necks to get use to hanging. But It would seem to be better on them to have them hang. Because it should possibly keer the neck straighter.

I'm not really having problems I just wanted informed opinions...
  6. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I wish I could hang my basses. As it is now, all four have their own gig stands.
  7. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I hang mine on String Swings and don't have any tuning problems. I just find it easier to store them like that and it keeps them out of harms way.
  8. Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Hanging isn't "bad" - changes in tuning you've encountered may have more to do with humidity in the room than anything else.

9. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Had mine hung out on the Wall for a year.

The Humidity changes where enough to cause some fret lift.

Back in the case.

Unless, of course you have a space with constant optimal humidity.
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

All of mine hang on the wall. No problems with tuning, necks, or fret lifting.
  11. niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    I've got 2 basses and 3 guitars. I bought a 5-spot rack and use that for my cheapies and leave the nice bass and nice guitar in their cases. Helps keep them clean. I wouldn't mind keeping them out but I'm in the L.A. area and earthquakes as well as fires are a reality. I like the idea of grab-n-go with them already in their cases.
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I usually keep mine cased. Every so often I'll leave one on a stand overnight.
  13. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Kinda my deal as well, though I have some of the nicer ones in that rack as well ("nice" being highly subjective).
  14. Like me, my basses are well hung.

15. :eek: :( :scowl: :rollno:

16. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I'm really surprised at how many people keep their basses in cases. I ALWAYS have all of mine out, so I can play them without manuevering big cases around. Now I'm wondering if I've been wrong all this time . . . :meh:
  17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I keep mine cased as protection from dust and humidity and vacuum cleaners and cats and general clumsiness. But I'm probably overly-protective... and I only play one at a time ;) so maneuvering isn't such a big deal.

No one is wrong for leaving a bass uncased, it's just slightly more risky to leave it out. Or a lot more risky if the bass would be exposed to curious toddlers, college dorm-mates, etc... :p
  18. niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    Actually, my main bass case is positioned so I don't even have to move it to open it (I've got a room in my house to myself and my computer table doesn't take up too much space). I can spare the room ;)
  19. Aerolithe

Jan 23, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    I always leave mine plugged in on a stand right next to my amp so I can just pick it up and play whenever I feel like it, no problems. It was suggested to me when I started on guitar about a year ago and I followed the advice, it's been nice because there really are times when I just feel like picking it up, playing a riff from a song, and putting it back, which I wouldn't do if I had to get everything out and plug it in. Maybe if I had a nice bass (this is probably worth $100-$150) I'd keep it in a case, but I'd still keep a cheap one at hand at all times. I've never had problems with tuning, I guess my room is decently stable.
  20. I used to stand my stuff, but that got too cumbersome with the 3rd bass and 2nd guitar, so I went to hangers. Of course, living in the musical black hole of the country, I couldn't find any hangers for about 3 months, but once they were on the wall, I wondered how I lived with all this crap on the floor. Now the floor is full of other crap. :)

The only problem I've had is that my SR5's G-string gets caught on the rubber rings sometimes and it gets pulled out of tune, but that only happens when I'm not paying attention.