Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you hate the sound of your own voice?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Komakino, Jun 22, 2002.

1. I was just recording myself singing and although I held the tune OK I really don't like how I sound. I've heard people say before that no one likes the sound of their own voice on tape but what do you guys think? Do you like your own voice or do you sound bad to yourself?

2. No, I think I sound wonderful...it's everyone else that has a problem!

In all honesty, yes, I hate my own voice, but that's talking, as well as singing...and it doesn't help that I'm completely tone-deaf when it comes to that. I think most people dislike their own voice...

-Dave

3. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I can't even listen to myself on the answering machine. I think it's pretty normal to hate hearing your recorded voice; a lot like hating looking at yourself in the mirror.(Or is that just me?)

4. Mirrors scare the !@#$ out of me! Yes, and I can't stand my voice either.

5. i can sing in tune etc etc just don't sound good. Strange but the only key i can actuslly listen to myself in without turning it of is in C. try it it might just be me

6. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Mirrors scare the !@#$ out of you, or you scare the !@#$ out of mirrors?:D

Well, at least you show up in mirrors... I have this problem, well... I won't bother you with it. Gotta run to the blood bank, anyways.:D

7. my name is john and i have a problem... i have a horrible voice... :( :D

8. I was told by a friend of mine (who sings in a choir) that I have a good singing voice for someone who's never learnt professionally....but to me I still sound aweful. What bugs me is that whether I'm good or genuinely bad I will never get a fair appreciation of anything I record because to me it will always sound bad.

9. I think I got it right, a mirror has yet to break because I looked in it but maybe that's just because I turn away so quickly.

btw I know Buffy, so stay away from me or you're in trouble ;).

10. downward spiral

downward spiral

Jul 20, 2001
    I LOATHE the sound of my own voice. I -literally- almost break down in tears upon hearing it. It sounds so abnormal compared to everyone else's - the pitch is so weird.. but I think it only sounds so to me, because according to everyone else it's just a voice, and not the alien mutation I percieve it to be.

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Uggh, I despise my voice. I hate the timbre, and I have horrible range.

Despite this my #2 band is getting me to practice simple backups. I warned them that they're better off without me, but they somehow think that if I practice I'm going to improve. I am far less confident than they are, but I'm willing to inflict torture on them for as long as they can tolerate it. :p

12. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Now that I have developed nodules on my vocal chords, all I am able to do is pretty much croak. Whenever I talk I never know what will come out...anything from a raspy whisper to a croak to a high pitched screech! It is embarrassing, because I really don't have any control over the sounds. That makes singing out of the question and conversation is limited too.:(

13. Yes. I hate the sound of my playing, too.

More work.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Never heard the sound of my own voice singin...

15. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I hate the sound of my voice. If voices had brands then mine would be a Rogue . Whenever I do record it I use like a lot of modulation and distortion so it does not sound like me.

16. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I hate my voice! I dont like hearing or seeing me. Good self-esteem, eh?

17. Well, I know my recorded voice sounds nothing like my spoken voice in person. I know this because everyone who's seen a video with me speaking in it has said to me, "That sounds NOTHING like you!"

But to actually answer the question, no. I don't like the sound ov my voice, either.

18. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    i have, admittedly and modestly, a barry-white voice, the ladies just swoon when i modulate it to "silk", but singing....i'm damned. nothing good there. i can sing individual notes fairly well, but the changes just expose my ineptitude.

still, the speaking voice serves me well....lots of heads say i have a voice for radio. maybe they're just being kind, and not saying "you have a face for radio...."

19. Yup. Hate it.
    I've been singing in a choir for eight years, but then you don't have to listen to your own voice very much.

20. I like the sound of my voice. It's mine, after all. Got a real confidence boost this Saturday when I went to a bar with my choir and did Billy Idol's "White Wedding" on the Kareoke piece there. Even had myself a little crowd dancing to the tune. :)