Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you have 2 basses on stage or just 1 ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kurt M., Aug 22, 2002.

1. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    I play in a serious hard rock band. At least we take it seriously. Until recently I've only had one bass on stage. I've always had extra strings. But, now I think I should step up and get a second bass on stage with an A/B box.

How many of you feel this is a must? How many of you never bother? Just curious.

Kurt

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I take two to all gigs. I leave the backup in the case behind our setup, though. Only once have I had to grap it, but thankfully I was able to do so during a drum solo.

3. Many years ago, I had only one bass on stage and one night actually broke a string -- unwound it at the bridge. I was screwed. Since then, I've typicaly had two basses on stage, a 4 and a 5. I use the 5 on songs where I want the B, obviously, and it also serves as a back-up to the 4.

There you go.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have 2 at every gig. If the stage is large enough, I have both on stage. On smaller stages, #2 stays in its case behind the drum riser or underneath it.

5. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Bass in the case doesn't work for me. I look like and idiot as I scamper off stage to get my bass out of it's case--then hope it's in tune--then plug it in etc., etc. The A/B thing involves me stomping on 1 switch and picking up another bass. As a serious band I guarantee that I'll break a string in front of a record company rep or during an important show.

I just switched to a 5 so using my 4 as a backup isn't the best way to go. It's a pain having to deal with another bass. But, then again, it's part of the program. Thanks for your thoughts.

6. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    I dont even take just 1 to rehearsal

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    At least two, for Pete's sake. eek.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

2 on stage. I often have a third in the car, just in case disaster(or the mood) strikes.

I also usually take at least 2 to rehearsal.

The only time I don't have a backup is when I play at church. There really isn't a place to keep it.

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i take 2. ss2 in my hands, musicman sits in a stand, tuned and ready to go at a moments notice.

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    two ALWAYS.

11. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    At least two.
    Main+backup.

Then again, if possible, I get other basses for special use.

12. Metaltronix

Metaltronix

May 29, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Currently I have matching 4 and 5 string spectors, but am looking for another matching 4 string. Whats cool is I have the guitar hangers that attach to the front of my rack so the unused bass hangs in front of my rig for a very cool look, is out of harms way and is very accessable just in case.

13. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I have never even considered lugging around more than one bass. No problemos so far.
    *knock* *knock*

14. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Depending on what/where I play, 2 or 3. A 5, a 4, and a fretless 4. Nowdays, we practice in my basement, so I get to have 10 'backups' ;)

15. lorbas

lorbas Supporting Member

May 11, 2002
    Kamen, Germany
    Depends.
    If i play a show that is somehow important where every minute counts, like a festival-situation with many bands, i take two with me. Both MusicMans, 5-string Sting Ray and a Sabre. I tune both and leave them on stage, 'cause if you put the spare back in the case it gets colder than the one on stage and is no more in tune if i need it. The ab-box-thing doesn't work for me because i use a wireless-system at bigger venues. I never needed a second bass on stage because i only broke one string in 15 years, but i ran out of battery a few times, and that really sucks, because it takes quite a moment untill you figured out what's wrong. Well, the basses still play with low-bat, but they usually don't sound that good.
    When i play club gigs i never take two basses with me, and i also use a smaller amp. That's because i try to avoid carriing around to much stuff all the time. After a gig, no matter where, i'm very busy getting even more drunk then i was on stage, and the last thing i can cope with in that state of mind is taking care for loads of expensive equipment !!

Gruß

lorbas

16. I've gone from taking two to three. Our three guitar players take a total of 7 so I felt I had to compete.:)

17. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    One on stage, and one in its' case in the supply room, usually.

18. Just one 5 string. In 20 years of playing I broke one E string (no big deal), and that's it. Never had a battery go down, never had an output socket crap out. I have, however, blown up two amps and had to reroute to the PA! I never use an amp again if it does that, even though it's been repaired. I sell it off, and get another. I just lose my sense of security.

19. Gus Autine

Gus Autine

Aug 25, 2000
    New York, NY
  20. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Always at least two.

The one time I only took one bass to a gig, I broke a string, and didn't have any spare strings. After getting through 2 songs (about 15 minutes of playing) missing an A string on my 5 string to finish the set, I actually bought the A string off the bass used by the opening band.

So, I took that as a sign not to be lazy about bringing a backup. These days, I have been taking a fretted and fretless to my gigs (and adding an Ashbory on occasion). Space is tight, but I like having different options. And, I'll be damned if I ever get caught without a second bass, again.