Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

do you have a jig or trick for making the truss rod channel?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Nov 8, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Clamp a strait piece of wood next to it and use it as a guide? Any tricks or tips? Photos would be great....t

2. I use a router table when the neck blank is still a rectangle. I just adjust the fence so that the router bit rides in the right place and go at it nice and slowly.

3. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Router table...Hmmm interesting concept. :eyebrow: I don't have one. :bawl:

4. make your own router table...there's heaps of DIY designs available on-line...

if you have a decent table saw and know how to use it, you could probably cut a channel with one...I've seen my dad do some pretty schmick things with his table saws...

5. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    If anybody had done the DYI on the router table I would be glad for the link. My table saw is not too great...t

6. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    I do it with my table saw and a dado head. It's a bit hard to line up the center perfectly, but then again, being 1/16" off hasn't yet been a big problem on any of my basses.

7. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004
    I use an over-arm pin router...If you can make accurate templates, you will have very accurate channels for your truss rods.

8. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    OH boy I am in trouble. I have no idea what an over-arm pin router is.........t

9. I don't use a router table to route the truss rod channel, just a router with an edge guide while the neck still has parallel edges. The router table is very simple to make. I've made 2, one with void free plywood (2 boards glued togeather to make a 1.5 thick table and then covered it with formica) and I installed that on a concrete wall I used to have on my old shop. The latest one I build using an old (but flat) ikea cofee table top and a sears universal tool bench. Both worked perfectly.

10. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    At work, we were getting rid of an OLD but sturdy desk. I took one of the sides which was pretty thick and used it for a router table. I had to 'seat' the router into the underside a bit, but it works just fine.
    Just make sure the piece of wood is flat. Once I made my hole where the bit goes, I just carefully drew out centering lines to the bit.
    For a fence, I just use a 'neck blank' of old laminate scraps (carefully joined, of course) , and clamp it down to the top of the table.
    I'm sure you have materials on hand to make something....
    If I can do it, I know you can do it.

11. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I like to see where I go when I rout truss slots. Simply because I've gone off track a few times...
    So I just use the edge guide, while the blank is still square, and use the slot as centerline for the rest of the instrument.
    I've also tried twith the truss slot as a part of the neck template. This worked well, too, but is not really a good call unless you will make several necks with the same shape. For one-offs, it's a lot of work for nothing.

A router table is still a part of my wishlist, though. But mostly for side shaping. I still like to see what I'm doing...

12. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    If I'm gonna screw something up, I sure as heck don't wanna watch myself screw it up!
    j/k, I hear ya on the "I like to see what I'm doing" side...
    That's why I ripped the little plastic saftey piece off my friend's Bosch router right in mid cut of a piece, and right in front of him too! I broke the plastic piece and my answer to his dismay was, "I couldn't see what the hell I was doing".
    That Bosch sure is a nice router....variable speeds, plunge, quiet(er), and silky smooth. I'm pretty sure they make an edge guide for his router so I'll have to pick one up for him as payment for letting me use it (it sits in my garage).
    Then maybe I'll try cutting the truss slot with the edge guide, AND I'll be able to see how bad I screw it up!
    I just saw a picture of it being done like that at the Aries bass website too...

13. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    "If I'm gonna screw something up, I sure as heck don't wanna watch myself screw it up!"

:D :D

14. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004
    An over-arm pin router is an inverted router table of sorts. The head which is the router is pnuematically raised and lowered over a precisely aligned pin in the table. The pin acts as a flush fitting guide to allow you to attach a template to the work piece and perfectly duplicate the work at hand....perfect for cutting truss rod channels. My machine is an older model Delta D-50.

15. Very useful. We call them R-8's here at work..because, well, that's the model name. :D

Also great at cutting the residual flash-wood free of a newly CNC'd bass body. EVEN BETTER for routing binding channels if you insert a smaller pin in the table, and an appropriately larger bit in the collet.

16. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    this is useless without photos. :hyper:
    I am guessing these are not something that can be found at a pawn shop. ;)

17. I use a cheapo Craftsman router table, worked great, nice and straight. I ran it 2 times through to get the right depth, on the second run I was able to get it perfectly flush, no glue needed for the rod either, she fit nice and snug. ;)
    Dirk

18. I don't use a router table to route the truss rod channel, just a router with an edge guide while the neck still has parallel edges.

Same here, its something i was scared of doing on my first neck, truss rods where probably the thing that confused me most when i started building, just part of the process now. It works so well i havn't thought about changing my procedure. I tend to use a dremel with router base and edge guide now because i am using smaller truss rods than when i started and i have a dremel bit the right size. Takes a few more passes than a router but still works fine