Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you have a musical non-bassist (!) hero ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Doryan, Sep 22, 2002.

1. I was wondering if some bassists here are mostly inspired by other (non-bassist) musicians.
    It occured to me lately that when people ask me, in the context of being a bassist, who my idol is.
    And very strange; they all are keyboard players, guitarists, violists, cellists, clarinetists, pianists, early romantic classical composers, accordeonplayers, flute-players,...
    There's actually one bassist I really look up to as an idol: Cliff Burton (I know; it's cliché to mention him as a metal-head). I admire him for his bassplaying and compsing, and style.

But my idol, my god in the music world is: Arjen Anthony Lucassen, a dutch keyboardplayer (and some other instruments), he has done work under the name Ayreon, Ambeon and Star One. I'm sure dutch guys here know him.
    He has given me more inspiration than a famous (or non-famous) bassist. And his music still drives me to be active in music.

So does anyone else idolizes a non-bassist over a bassist ?

(this is an expansion on the fav guitarist thread)

2. Well... i really like Saint Germain.. he makes a mixture of jazz and dance.. very nice ! :D

3. Emmylou Harris. Most artists become famous in one style, and that's pretty much the way they stay to the end of their days. Emmylou is much like Miles Davis, in that they both constantly reinvented themselves over the decades.
    Actually, I admire any artist that has this ability to switch lanes while still retaining their popularity. Many have tried going off at a tangent, and many have faded rapidly into obscurity.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Joey Ramone
    Iggy Pop
    The Doors
    Enrico Ciacci

5. I really look up to Billy Corgan and Jeff Buckley.

6. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    When I start idolizing other players besides bassist, I find myself straying from bass and far as I'm concerned thats a bad thing. "If only I played drums," or, "I really think guitar fits my character better."

7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Neil Peart

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I could do this all day...

Alex Lifeson
    Neil Peart
    Allan Holdsworth
    Eric Johnson
    Steve Morse
    Vinnie Coliuta
    Carter Beauford
    Robben Ford
    Tom Brechtlien
    Miles Davis
    Bennie Golson
    Arturo Sandoval
    Michele Camilo

....and on and on and on....

9. Stevie Wonder, hands down. I'd like to think of him as an honorary bass player cause the stuff he does on synth bass just freaks me out. Oh, and he's a genius ;-)

Cheers rOdy

10. Keith Moon

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Too many to list, but here's a few:

Hermeto Pascoal
    Ernesto Nazareth
    Sivuca
    Milton Nascimento
    Marcel Dadi
    Georges Moustaki
    Gil Evans
    Frank Zappa
    Michel Petrucciani
    Tom Zé
    Anyone who was produced by Phil Spector.

12. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    Some of my biggest influences are non bassists such as John Coltrane, Charlie Parker,Christian Vander (drummer for the French group Magma), and Pat Metheny. I often study the music of other instruments on my bass to get an insight about note choice,rhythm etc....

13. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Word. Stevie's the man.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Mozart
    Eric Johnson
    Rik Emmett
    Neil Peart
    Edward Van Halen

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Donald Fagan and Walter Becker RULES!!!

Anyone complain? :p

16. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Miles Davis
    Herbie Hancock
    Stewart Copeland
    Manu Katche

17. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Trent Gardner
    Neil Peart (what lyrics!)
    Alex Lifeson
    Neil Morse
    Brian King
    Hal Chiasson
    Jim Dunn
    J. S. Bach
    Jim Warrick (Curly Pratt- side band of mine)
    Nate Warrick (Curly Pratt)
    Al Rowe

18. LOL
    that's a subtle flame :p :)

19. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    one of my biggest influences is an alto sax player, chris bachsley (probably butchered the name).
    he was a fellow port st. lucian, and he was two years older than i.

i joined the jazz band as a callow bass player, not even a year into it. on the first day of that class, i heard that kid tearing through the changes on a chart that took me about three hours to tap out.

he was absolutely amazing. luckily, i got good enough to be his "first call" bassist (he and his drummer/pianist friends consistently picked me over someone they were better friends with!).

his approach to soloing really affected the way i thought of my own. i asked him once how closely he follows the chord changes, and he said that it just depends on the style. even though that advice may seem simple (and it is!), i suddenly felt like it all makes sense now.

he was easily the most talented musician i've ever played with.