Do you have a practice space?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by chardin, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Yes

30 vote(s)
  2. No

4 vote(s)
  1. chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    One of my many excuses for not practicing is that I have to setup my equipment. Even before that, I have to find a place in the house that isn't being used for the kids games, homework, or some other project.

How many of you have a dedicated practice space? Where is it? Do you leave a bass plugged in, ready to go, at all times?
  2. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Well... not exactly dedicated, but most of the time I leave my amp and pedals set up in a corner of the living room and have several of my instruments available round the room. Occasionally my wife complains that it's creeping too far out into the middle of the room but normally it works okay - no kids or pets to worry about.

If you can't leave your rig set up it might be worth considering getting an electro-acoustic bass - even if you have to hang it up somewhere high, it will still be within your reach for when you get a few minutes for practise.

3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    moved to misc.
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yup, i either practice unamplified in my bedroom or i have at least one amp always set up in my living room.
  5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I have a little home studio. I have a little room dedicated to music. SO i never have to unplug anything.
  6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Combo in the living room. Acoustic guitars also in living room

Cheap rig in the computer room.

Fat rig in the basement jam room. Bass/rig, guitar/rig, PA/mics, 4track/mics, drums, and keg of homebrew locked and loaded.

The easier I make it to pick up an instrument and play, the more I end up playing.
  7. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    My solutions:

Combo in living room

Rockman into computer (This has been my favorite lately.....really helped to make compositions also)
  8. We have out our spot here. Always set up and ready to go. (Another excuse to show a pic) :D
  9. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    My finished basement! The Band room we call it!
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My room. It's unnaturally clean, because all I so is play bass, use the computer, or sleep.

It's set up next to a very comfortable chair, with the basses hanging on the wall, my pedals and head sitting atop my cab for easy adjustments, and a set of headphones for late practices.
  11. b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    I cant practice at home becuse i live in a house with 5 other people...I practice in a practice room at my college. It is a very small space but it has helped me out alot becuase for the classical piece that i am playing at the endof the semester i play the bass like a classical guitarist would play the guitar...left leg raised and bass leaning on left leg...helps me to reach the harmonics above the pick ups. peace
  12. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I like to call my practice space "the cave". During the start of my sophmore year (when I started playing, go figure), my dad and I completely pimped out the garage. We put all my gear, videogames, a DVD player, a decent stereo (it's nice and loud), a couch, a small fridge, and a pool table out there. I spend almost all my time in there, hence the name. Needless to say, my band like practicing at my place. :D
  13. I have my rig in the corner of my bedroom. I have band practice twice a week, so i rarely set it up. But my brother plays guitar through it so he sets it up... then i play it afterwards. lol

14. Since I live by myself at the moment, it's in the living room. Otherwise, it's either in the bedroom or the living room.

I feel it's important to have your instrument at a very close proximity and ready to be played. Inspiration can come suddenly and unexpectedly, so you want to be ready to plug in and go. Sometimes it seems even the smallest tasks like opening a case could deter us from playing. Kind of sad, but true - at least for me.
  15. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    By myself: im my room with my stereo and CD's
    By myself with my big amp (when i have it) In my basement in "The sauna"
    With freinds: In "the Sauna"

This is me and 2 freinds in the sauna. we call it that because it so small, its like a sauna when we play in there.

16. I've got my amp set up in my computer room. Amp in the corner, basses set up on the stand next to the amp. I need to get a real practice space so I can get a band put together.
  17. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Well I'm a lucky chap, our house (rented) has a basement an in it I have all my gear, including pc, small desk, amp, stereo all set up and ready to go.
    which is why I usually play every day.

The ONLY issue with it is that the ceiling is about 4 inches lower than I am tall, so I have to practice sitting down... and I bump my head quite regularly.

There's a flat accross the road from me that I so want to buy, but my Mrs doesnt like it, it has two bedrooms, living room, kicthen & bathroom on ground floor and a really large basement with two windows.
    It's absolutley perfect and if it goes on the market again I'm going to do some serious persuading to get the Mrs into the idea! :)
  18. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I usually practice either in my room with just my 2 singers and guitarist or at friends house who happens to have a nice p.a system and studio room.. it works for the best.. this guy can make any p.a sound beautiful.
  19. bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    Good old fasion Garage. Suprised there isn't more.
  20. Have a 40' X 40' room in an old factory that we pay $300 a month for (electric included). Looking to make it into a studio in the near future.

Pics available at

click on link for "the room"