Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do You Have a Pre-overhaul Pic of this Slotted (low B only) Headstock?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Jim T., Oct 3, 2004.

1. Hi,
    Prior to one of TB's overhauls, there was a thread and pic of a luthier built bass that had a unique low B only, slotted headstock arrangement.

You may remember it because it was almost uniformly put down as ugly and "how far will people go to get a tight low B"?
    I was in the minority and liked its looks and admired it's careful craftsmanship and ingenuity... (also couldn't locate the original thread via a search..anyone have a link?)

The back side of the peghead had a carved raised block-ish area to beef up the slotted head tuner area if that helps.

I'm having my short scale (30") six started soon and I thought this might be an alternate (better?) solution (aesthetically) than angling the entire headstock 17 degrees to get as much transfer of vibration/energy to the nut/neck. I was initially concerned about strings binding in the brass nut at that angle ...but after googling, I see that Les Paul guitars have a 17 degree tilt so it shouldn't be a problem...

Anyway if anyone happened to save that slotted B pic to file away for future reference I'd appreciate a copy via PM or posted here.

Thanks! Jim

2. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    some pics ofr you:

2004 musikmesse:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the system you describe is offered by this japanese luthier:

http://www.bastec.net/

Peace,
    JP

PS: Keep it simple Jim. Ask Kevin Brubaker and ask Brad Johnson...He played Kevin's 30" 6er and it was fine!

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Jim

Regardless of the break angle, ALL of the energy either reflects off of the neck, or is transmitted into it.

The ratio of these two amounts would be more influenced by mass quantity and distribution and by stiffness than by any break angle.

4. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    word!

JP

5. Thanks J.P.!

I've sent you a private email via your site asking what I hope is a tactful question!...

Thanks for these pics. Wow, that's quite a bit more radical than I have in mind but it's great to see what other's have done!

Thanks very much! Jim

6. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE

I didn't get any email or PM.. :confused:

what did you use?

jp "at" jpbasses.com is the way to go.

Peace,
    JP

7. Hi JP,
    I sent it via your business site "contact" email link.
    If you don't get it, let me know and I'll use the Talkbass PM.
    Cheers, Jim

8. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    no email from you sorry. Please resend or use PM

JP

9. Thanks for all the PMs JP!

Guess no one happened to save that particular pic I was looking for. I think I'll ask on the bass guitar page for that broader population thang.

Thanks everyone. Jim