do you have a press kit/promo pack for yourself as a bassist?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by peteroberts, Aug 3, 2003.

1. I dont mean a band press kit, I mean one that pushes yourself as a player.

I'm trying to put one together and could use some ideas on how to do it...I am going after the 'big dogs'...:)

I'm thinking a good start would be a b&w 8x10 of myself w/my instrument, my demo on CD, a bio/discography, and maybe some quotes from musicians I know...I would love to hear what you've got in yours.
  2. Bullett138

Apr 17, 2003
    Kansas City
    closest thing ive got to that is a 3 1/2 minute tape of my chops, recorded in a basement in a 20 minute period. It's got some country music by stu hamm, alot of original stuff, some wooten, and of course, the maxwell murders solo through a blues driver.

of course, i'd be too ashamed to show it to anybody with the terrible recording quality and the ungodly amount of mistakes i made.
  3. BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    You're on the right track. You'll definatly need a good 8x10. Don't skimp on it and do it yourself. Definatly get it as professionally done as you can afford. Your glossy is one of the first things a future employer is gonna look at.

Next you'll want to put togeather a sort of press pack with a cover page/press release, a short bio, discography, and a couple of professional references of players/bands you've played with (include contact names, numbers, and E-mail addresses. But make sure to ASK first. Don't need your references getting bent, after all). This all should be presented as nicely as possible. Getting a portfolio folder that has a slot for holding your business card is always nice and professional looking. You can get them on the cheap at Staples and such places.

A demo CD is an absolute must and requires the most attenetion. After all, all that other stuff is just designed to grab their attention and give them an impression of you as a professional. Your demo will give them an impression of you as a PLAYER. Now, most of the people you're gonna go after are'nt looking for the next Claypool or Wooten, so leave the chop-fests at home. Limit yourself to playing tasteful, in-the-pocket basslines in as many styles as you can manage. What I used to do back in my Hollywood days was demo out different grooves using a drum machine or a program called Band In The Box. I would record myself playing in as many styles in as many apllicable tempos as possible. The cream of the crop got put on the master demo CD that I sent out to talent agencies and the such. If getting a gig called for something a lil' more narrow (someone looking for a jazz bassist is'nt gonna care how well you play death metal, after all)I would dive into my collection of recordings and make them a personalized demo. Don't go balls-out on the cover of your demo. A simple cover works fine. Just make sure to include your name, contact info, and a track listing.

I think that's about it, actually. A press kit is'nt something you can slap togeather in 10 minuets and send out. It takes alot of work to get togeather and looking good. Then all you gotta do is sit back and pray you get a call. ;)