Do you have a signature sound or tone?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by davy4575, Oct 16, 2016.

1. davy4575

davy4575

Nov 4, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Just curious, Do you have a signature sound or tone that you keep no matter what your doing and what your using or do you match it to whatever project your doing, if so, do you still keep some of it?

Post files if ya got em

2. ASQTec

ASQTec Above Average Supporting Member

May 2, 2010
    I play a Birdsong bass strung with TI Flats with a pick through 90's SWR gear. I have a unique signature sound without even trying.

I just dial on the best tone and leave it. Only the bass players in the audience (and me) notice that I don't sound like Geezer when we do Faires With Boots. I'm cool with it.

davy4575 likes this.
  3. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    The sound of somebody constantly buying, selling and trading basses. The more I own the less I realise I know about basses, how to play them and what I want out of them. :laugh: There isn't going to be a signature sound here for a while!

byoung93888 and davy4575 like this.
  4. davy4575

davy4575

Nov 4, 2009
    Denver, CO
    LoL, I think we can all identify with that. Ive always liked a particular sound of the bass in certain songs and bands, so I suppose tried to emulate that, gradually over the years and a lot of different set ups on bass, effects, amps and cabs have morphed into a sound that pleases me and is a mixture of those influences. I think its all relative as what sound pleases you may be different that someone else. I asked for a lot of help when I wanted it to sound a specific way and also a lot of trial and error.

Axstar likes this.
  5. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I don't switch instruments nor amps often. I use my tone on whatever thing I'm playing, either picked or fingerstyle (mostly fast HC, but also regularly get hired by both a metalcore band and a ska band). It's ballsy and dirty (OD). Those who hire me know beforehand and in fact specifically want that.

Stingray 5 thru' SansAmp RBI
    Maruszczyk Jake 5a+ thru' ZOOM MS60B

davy4575 likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021