1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you have a "spot" on stage?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Broadstbully22, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    I don't know how it happened but I am always front, stage right. I don't care one way or the other but we just set up like that. Everyone has a spot. We never talked about it, it just happened. It doesn't happen everytime, maybe 95 percent. Just seems funny to me how we are creatures of habit. I think I might set up different next gig. Just to see how the view is on the other side of the stage. Lol.

Is your band the same?

2. I think it's not a bad idea to set up in the same positions you do in practice. That way you're seeing similar visual cues and may get a few of the same audio cues...although that depends on the speaker setup.

nightwulf likes this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I play with a lot of bands. A lot of bands. I respectfully request that I stand stage left with the drummer beside my right elbow. I usually end up in front because I sing so much. But I usually get my way with stage left and move back and forth between up front and beside the drummer depending on how much I am singing in a given song/set.

I certainly understand that not every band can work with me on the stage left thing. But that is my preference these days so I at least ask.

nightwulf likes this.
  4. Yeah, it usually works best if everyone sets up the same way - so it matches the band’s stage plot on the rider.

5. Luvie

Luvie

Oct 23, 2012
    Houston, TX
    I'm always stage left. Singer is in the center and the gui**** is a lefty so he's on the right so he and the singer don't crack guitar necks. Drummer in the back.

Flad likes this.
  6. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

In all of my "regular" projects I'm always in the same spot, by the hi-hat. I also step upstage when I sing but I'm always just stage left of center. (Note that it's been a long time since I've worked with a southpaw drummer.) ;)

When I work with other bands as a pick-up or sideman all bets are off. I could be anywhere.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

7. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Yes. Next to the drummer. Either side. Anywhere else, and the whole thing comes apart at the seams. Or so it seems. Ha hah..

8. deathsdj

deathsdj

Sep 18, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    I don't particulary care but if given the choice I like stage right.

Cheers!

MJW

9. Catbuster

Catbuster Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    Stage right up front if I'm doing vocals or chilling out. If not, I'm running and jumping around like an idiot

10. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Always always...stage left, near the hi-hat & snare, whenever possible!

11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Most bands, including my current one, I am stage left. But with the duo, or when the house band, I prefer to be stage right so I can watch the guitar player.

12. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I think the "standard" bass player location is to the left of the drummer and behind anyone else who may be on the left side. That's where I almost always wind up when I'm playing with unfamiliar groups.

There are no rules, though. Night Ranger's drummer used to play far stage left and in front, because he also sang a lot of the vocals. The guy I saw play drums with David Gray about 12 years ago set up in the same spot, although he sang not at all.

It was fun to see Alice In Chains recently and watch them juggle positions song to song. Cool.

13. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I am always forced out into stage center, whether I like it or not. I will move all over the stage, and out into the audience, but that is command central, and I have no control over it.

In this band, and a few previous ones, I tried to be stage right or stage left, but with few exceptions, the band has said I am to be THE STAR, even though I am not the star.

I have gotten to where I will play wherever anyone wants me.

Doesn't make a bit of difference.

When only playing bass, I love to jump up on the edge of the drum riser, and share some jams with the drummer. It's a lot of fun, and a world away from the lead singer spot.

14. nojj

nojj Guest

May 20, 2013
    I'm like Mellow
    OK, maybe not: my wife isn't as hot, but I think my hair is longer than his....:D

Usually at stage center, when doing the front work.
    Also run the PA, so it pretty much depends on space constraints at the venue.
    Most of my stuff is 3pc, but it doesn't really matter what side of the stage my rig is at.

In the female-fronted band, I'm usually at her left, which is also where the drummer prefers me.

15. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Back by the drummer on the hi hat side. It's my preference really, as my right ear has been pounded into jelly by standing there for years, and I really don't want to beat the crap out of my left.

(Hearing protection kids. Wear it EVERY time!)

16. kikstand454

kikstand454

Sep 28, 2012
    Strange.
    Years ago when I was playing guitar, I was always stage left. Always.

Somehow when I started playing bass, I ended up on the right. I'm not sure how. In all the 15 or so years of playing bass, I can't think of a single time, or find a single photo, of me on stage left.
    Now that I sing alot more, I spend alot of time downstage also......so downstage right is where I live.

17. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'm always stage right unless we're playing a venue that is so tight that my singer/guitarist might get smacked in the head with my headstock. Not too often, but it's happened before.

18. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    It's funny. I don't care where I am. My band uses in ear monitors so hearing the drummer is a non issue. I can hear whatever I want wherever I am. Im doing lead half the time and run the pa. So I'm always at the front with our pa board behind me. I wonder if next show if I show up early and set up differently if it will mess with someone. It's just interesting to me. Creatures of habit.

19. Yeah, my guess is it will freak someone out. Just for fun and experimentation - do it, to see what happens and update this thread with the results. :bassist:

20. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    No preference. I am normally opposite of the PA because one of the guitar players runs it and it's position will vary depending on where it needs to set up at. Whichever side it is I am normally up front for vocals.