Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you have an F-Bass and a Benavente? I could use some input.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lo-freq, Dec 7, 2003.

1. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Anyone out there own (or have owned in the past) both an F-Bass BN5 and a Benavente 5 string (either SC or Vortex) (especially one with the J.S. pickups and preamp)?

I've heard so much good stuff about both basses, but have not had the opportunity to play either one.

I currently own an SR5 which I know is a totally different animal and I have a very nice sounding rig.

I'm looking to get closer to a Fender Jazz Bass vibe, but with a lot more versatility.

Any comparisons you could give would help.

Also, there was one or more threads about George using pickups made by someone else. Has this come to pass and if so, what's the tonal differences?

Thanks for the help.

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I have had both instruments, and I don't think you could go wrong with either! Both basses sound amazing, and are extremely well made. I think you will find the Benavente to be much more hi-fi sounding. Very modern and bright. Playability is almost ridiculously good! The F-Bass on the other hand is going to sound a little more organic. You get much more of a early Fender vibe from the F-Bass. In terms of versatility I think the F-Bass is an excellent choice. You can also get a modern J-bass tone, and a great sounding slap. They play wonderfully too. They balance great, and feel great in your hand. You really need to experience them both before buying. Both basses excell at what they do, but they are different. If you are looking for a hi-fi sound I feel Benavente's kill. A more vintage vibe, F-Basses do the job perfectly.

3. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Totally agree with Adrian's views on both basses... I just bought a Benavente with JS tech pre and pups..it's very "Hi Fi" tone with great slap actions. I also have a F baas..much more vintage tone "Marcus" or "Alain Caron" type of slap tone. I'm so glad I don't have to choose.;)

You just have to play both and decide for yourself:D

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Thanks guys!

Sounds like you're trying to talk me into getting both.
    [My inner voice whispers (into my inner ear, of course), "Gee! Why didn't I think of that?"]

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    lo-req,
    You have a PM! :D

6. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    I have both and couldn't agree more with what has already been said. To me, the F-bass has a slightly more "familiar" semi-vintage type feel and tone with an incredibly versatile preamp. The Vortex is the ultimate hi-fi-jazz-bass-on-steriods (I've got 3 of them) - the tone and playability are just sick! You can't really go wrong with either. :bassist:

7. The bass you descibe (Jazz bass vibe with more tonal versatility) describes an F Bass perfectly. Actually I would go one step further, and say that not only is an F bass more versatile than a Jazz, it just sounds better, even with the preamp turned off.

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I see from your website you have a Vintage Vortex 5 w/DM single coils and a Bene preamp. How do you like it & how does it compare to the BN5? [Basically trying to narrow down whether the 'Hi-Fi'ness of the Bene's comes mostly from the preamp.]

9. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I'd like to add to my previous post...my vintage vortex with JS tech pre and DiMarzio ultra jazz pups has the vintage vibes too...I turn the mids all the way down and boost the highs and lows, I'll have the Sadowsky slap tone!

10. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    The Bene pre has a very clean, powerful tone. Like Horace, I usually boost the bass to near maximum and blend the mids & treble to taste. As for a comparison to the F preamp, the F will work active/passive (with passive tone which also works in active mode) and you can switch the pickups from dual coil to single coil - so you can see it is more versatile. I love them both!

11. Don't know if I have anything new to add. But I will definitely agree that the F Bass has a Fender vibe, without the Fender problems. The string spacing is more conducive to percussive playing. It plays evenly up and down the fingerboard. And you can pop the strings above the 7th fret on the G string. But, it's more than just a Fender clone. It's got it's own personality. You can hear Fender in there, but that's not all there is. I couldn't be happier with mine.

Tony