Do you have the listen to me whine?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by QORC, Mar 25, 2005.

1. QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    my that we're really doing well...getting good gigs at the best places is on the verge of breaking up. 1 guy going to quit, 1 guy (the KEY guy) moving to another state by June, apparently.

1.5 years of hard work down the toilet.

not looking for solutions...just looking to whine a bit.

I'm very depressed.
  2. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Been there. Done that...way too many times.

I was in, what I thought at the time, a perfect band situation. I loved the songs we did, I liked the guys in the band, and then...

They cut me loose and brought in their original bass player.

But now I'm in an even better band and an even better situation.

Do a Martha Stewart and turn this bad band situation into a lovely table centerpiece.

Seriously, while it sucks now...if you want to play, you'll find something worthwhile. I know that doesn't really help, but it really is true that a lot of bad things that happen are just an opportunity waiting to happen.

Hang in there and enjoy it while you can and put out the word that you are looking to form a new band, or join something different.

But, whatever you do...DO NOT stop posting your chicks with Ricks!!! ;)
  3. QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    you're right.

but damnit, things were going SO WELL. And it FIT my life. Gonna be hard to find a similar fit.

oh well...back to the drawing board....

G*D DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    The situation I was in with my former band was such a perfect fit for me as well.

But being replaced made me re-think things and I ended up retiring altogether.

Then about a year later, a guitarist whom I've always respected and wanted to play with, called.

This band now is an even better fit. It's more my style of music, it's more fun, the guys are even easier to get along with, we don't play out as much and it works with my family life so much better than my previous band.

I know it's hard to go through (so hard for me that I just was going to quit for good). But things will work themselves out.

Try to stay positive and keep an eye out for something better.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah ... in my old country band, all our girl singers kept moving to Phoenix.
  6. That's funny. Aren't you the same guy who said he only does this for fun?

Replace whatever positions have to be replaced in your group, or just let the band fall apart. Either way, move on with your personal and creative life. Worse things have happened.

7. QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    absolutely I do this for fun (not the money, but the money is a nice bonus).

and because it's fun - I'm upset that it's all coming to end. is that so hard to understand?

Problem in replacing the parts - the KEY part is leaving. The guy who runs the band, the lead singer, the guy who's house we practice at and the guy who OWNS all the PA stuff and hauls it. It's not going to be easy to replace. the remaining members are rather passive and frankly I don't want to be the band leader - I don't have the time, patience or inclination.

So basically I'm out searching for a new situation. I've already made some contacts.

I'm just sad. this thing was going really REALLY well. Oh well. that's the nature of bands!

8. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    *sigh* I hear ya. Just went through a similar thing.

After 4 years of trying to put together a decent band, I really feel like sisyphus pushing the rock up the hill :( Ya just gotta dust yourself off and start again. Well, if life is what happens when you are busy making plans, then I guess music and learning is what happens when you are busy putting the band together. I hope. :eek:
  9. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    sorry to hear about that. we just went through this last month. our guitarist is moving away, we wanted to replace him with another guitarist. instead we found a violinst. it will make for a different sound and feel for our music. the moral of this story: be open and flexible to what may come your way.

NoVA is full of cover bands and bands seeking bassists. sometimes to the point that the market is full of bassists seeking work and that can be a real challenge.

i saw your other thread, if you havent done so already, post on Craigs List and the city paper.

Good luck
  10. QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    I posted the same on CraigsList already. Also, I have our agent putting out a blast email to all the other bands in his stable.

haven't done City Paper. Good idea. Forgot about them. Thanks!
  11. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Oh man, it sucks, but hardly anyone doesn't come across these nasty experiences. (99% of us are scarred ;) )

For myself I've been in a band which broke up a few weeks ago. The sound was good, the guys played well but... the members had been changing almost every half a year/ whole year... every time I had ideas, but in three hours there wasn't time to play them through, while we only had to play eight songs. Very inefficient and it began to annoy me. It wasn't a well-oiled machine, but a passive team. Horrible.

In the end we thought everything was ok (we even had a label's interest in us, with our first very simple recorded demo-record) and were starting to gain some gigs and within short time record an album... but things went wrong and now we all do something else. (It was a social problem between members... one should never have beginning love affairs in a band imo -although it is unavoidable sometimes- or anything like it)

But I was jamming with a bunch of guys last week and it felt much better than the whole history of my old band. A lot more my own style and way of playing.

Just wait... the Mojo will find you again. ;)
  12. QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    I appreciate the encouragement. I have our agent working on it, I've put ads out - a couple of responses, but neither what I'm looking for (one a wedding band...I'm old, but I'm not ready for "Murph and the Magitones"