1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do you have to adjust the bass for tapping?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Demon, May 11, 2006.

1. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Just wondering, do I? I got a Squier Precision and i dont get much sound when i tap? In that case, what shud i do? Also, is it possible to get a somewhat dark tone when tapping? Cos all the clips i heard they sound very light, and i prefer darker sound, maybe its cos they played higher frets?

2. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Sorry, was supposed to say when tapping=) also, the problem is, unless i hammer on REALLY hard i cant hear a ****. Exept the string hitting the fret.. so is my amp just too weak or do i need active pickups=/?

3. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    well, barely, imean sure, but not close to loud enough, no mather how i try hitting the string, the only way to make it loud enough is py slamming my whole finger on the string lol.

4. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    I read somewhere i should lower the action, raise the pickups and try to make the strings be on the same level and then put some sponge under the strings on the first fret:S is this true`?

5. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    The sponge mutes the part of your string between the nut and your finger to prevent dischordant vibrations of the other part. I belive this wastes energy so you get a clearer sound with your string muted and also of course it means your tapping doesn't sound like crap when you do it acoustically. I use an elastic band on my four string and am scrounging through my sister's collection of scrunchies to find the perfect one for my 6 string.

6. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Okay, but anyway, where can i learn to tap correctly? Anyone know a good site or something?