Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you have to be smart to master bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AcousticBass, Jun 6, 2005.

1. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    Would you say you have to be smart to master bass or any other instrument? i asked someone this before and they said "no look at flea from R.H.C.P" which was kinda mean, but eeh what do you guys think?

2. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    what are you talking about....flea is a genious

3. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I think that intellect and musical creativity are mutually exclusive.

4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    'Smart' is so subjective and has so many connotations that it's impossible to give a straight answer. I'd be inclined to say no, you don't have to be a bookworm or be able to spout mathematical equations at the drop of a hat to be able to play bass well. Having said that, to master anything, you need to put in a great deal of time with that something, not just to get good at doing the things you want to do with it (playing rock, slap, tapping, etc.), but to really understand the versatility and overall capacity of said thing, regardless of how versatile your needs are. That type of open-mindedness and thorough understanding comes with time, attention, and dedication, which to me are all elements of being smart.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Smart? No.
    Dedicated & creative? Yes.

Read the biographies of the 'masters'(Bird, Miles, Coltrane, Jaco, etc)...all were capable of doing some pretty non-smart ****.
    ;)

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Very well put.
    ;)

7. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
  8. I'm a complete idiot, AND a total master of all things bass. :eyebrow: Couldn't be one without the other. :rollno:

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I masterbass several times a week.

But then, that's because my girlfriend broke up with me.

10. Define smart, though :confused: I think you need a certain amount of intelligence to grasp a concept as complex as music. And I think that to be a master of anything you need some degree of intellect.

11. Be careful! You could get splinters from all of that woodshedding! :D

12. Not at all. Music is a pretty separate thing. "Intellect" or other qualities and characteristics will influence your playing in some way, but it doesn't mean that a smarter player will play better or worse.

13. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

No.

NJL mastered it and he's a product of the Texas public school
    system ...

14. I'd say dedication would be the best way.... :bag:

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Look, you're playing bass; you may be the bus driver, but you're driving the short bus.

16. Depends on what you mean by smart. Perhaps Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences will help you. http://www.infed.org/thinkers/gardner.htm

Basically, being able to play music but not do math doesn't mean you aren't smart; you're just smart in a different way.

17. Yes. You should give up.

18. I come from the other end of the spectrum, i am a near genius (apparently) yet can't seem to play bass!!! this will change though *insert evil laugh here* now that i have a better job it is bass lessons time! :bassist:

19. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    just plug in and start jamming.....if a year goes by and you haven't learned anything then give it up :bassist: :hyper: