Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

do you have to go to music college to "make it"?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by velvetkevorkian, Sep 1, 2004.

1. ok, so i'm just starting university this year, going to glasgow uni to do a joint honours MA degree in german and music. however, you don't have to audition to get into the MA music, and there's minimal, if any, performance until you hit honours (in this case 4th and 5th year). do i have any chance of becoming a pro orchestral bass player, assuming i keep practicing hard. does it all just come down to your audition?
    ta much boys and girls
    Kyle

2. Kyle

I started a thread about this a while back. I forget the title but it covers this topic exactly. Basically, the word is that your resume can mean the difference between getting a chance to audition or not, but usually it's the playing that wins the spot. Music school is a must for making you a confident well-rounded classical musician so its a good thing in any case.

Jon