Do you have to play well to try to suck at bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hat-Trick, May 8, 2003.

1. Ok, so maybe the title doesn't make any sense but what I'm trying to say is...

...when I'm at the bass section in the local stores I try as hard as I can to play the best that I can. I just don't want anyone to see me sucking like I really do so I concentrate on playing my one good lick which I practice all the time. I was at the store last night with my bass teacher and he picked up this Fender Jazz bass and started to play it. Well, this guy can play and I'm thinking a crowd's gonna gather around to watch. Guess again, he sounded really bad. People were giving him strange looks and I know that if he wasn't as big as he is, someone would have decked him just to keep him from playing. The thing is, I know he can can play, but it seems like when he's out in public he goes out of his way to sound really bad. When I ask him, he just looks at me and says "oh, I just wanted to hear what the amp sounded like", then laughs . Wassup with that?
  2. Sounds unusual to me! Maybe he's just not the type to show off?

My advice to you, is not to try. Learn as you go along, and whne you're trying out new gear, let your hands do the work.
    You will learn about theory, and it will take many years before you're good at it, but keep at it, and you will get better as you go along. Eventually you can start melding your hands and brain power to making good sounds and licks...

Justa thought; don't try. :)
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Definitely try the gear out, learn about it's strength and weaknesses, what you like about it, what you could do without, before you decide to start showing off.

personally, I don's show off in public much at all....If I'm demoing some gear, and the hothead slappers are all around, and I want to demo my gear. I show them up, I have shamed many a guitar center wanker before, but it's only a last resort if they are not giving me my space.
    My personal favorite way to silence a slap wanker, is to just go jaco style ripping and shredding fingerstyle playing, they usually stop, drop their jaw, then lower their volume ;)

I can't say that isn't satisfying, but I don't go out of my way to show off, only if I am not getting any respect.
  4. It just seems to me like such a waste of talent. He also does this when he meets another bassist. It's like he's trying really hard to sound like he just picked up the bass last week. I just don't get it. I mean I understand not wanting to show off, which probably comes with having played for a long time, but to actually draw attention to himself in a negative way is weird to me.
  5. By the way, he is a member of TalkBass so he'll probably see this sometime. Maybe i get an answer by puting him on the spot. :)
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Maybe he really does suck :D

j/k ;)

Maybe, by doing this he learns more about hte bassist that he is playing in front of, how they react to someone that they think is a beginner...maybe it's just his way of learning more about people.
  7. Maybe, he's Jaco's son.

Think about it! Jaco's son would obviously be able to rock out like his father!! Specially with his dad teaching from a young age!

Now, can you imagine JacoJnr jazzin' out the GC? Yea exactly, as iof, has to keep his identity a secret!

8. You are from vancouver eh? what area does your teacher work out of I am looking for a teacher in my area... New West.. My old teacher was good, but I want to try a new one.
  9. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I understand that you want to impress when in public :D

But, flashy playing isn't necessarily the best way to test out the gear.

However, Xavier is your teacher, right?

So he can set the record straight :D

EDIT: Ahh, he just did ;)
  10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  11. Yeah, that too.:bassist:
  12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  13. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    uhhhhmm..... :confused: test amps by....sounding as horrible as see if the amp still sounds good when you're.....bad....?

I think anyone trying stuff out should play what ya normally play while in a band/practicing by get an accurate opinion.....
  14. :meh: maybe XavierG sucks at trying out new amps:confused:

by the way, I usually try to show off some, but the best way to try new gear out would be to play all over the neck and at different volumes w/different settings and really test it out
    but that doesn't mean you can't do that in a flashy way;)

15. Thats one of the funniest things I've ever heard, Im still laughing. From now on Im just going to stores and sucking ass big time just to make myself smile. Thats just great. BTW, why is it that everyone thinks slapping is the ultimate wanking? Obviously if some kid is standing there for 20 mins slapping mixolydian funk in E someone should shut him down, but it doesn't mean it can't be done tastefully. :)

One more thing, I'd just like to ask how he plays badly. Does he play with no sense of rythme, play harmonically scary things, or just miss notes and play with no co-ordination? Im really interested in this, cause this is so damn funny.
  16. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    No, not as bad as possible. But if you're trying your hardest to show off, you're not really listening to the amp coz you're too busy concentrating on your hands.

Like you say, play stuff you usually play, preferably songs you know back to front. I also like to just play random notes all over the guitar and I don't care if it doesn't sound like a bass line. And if I'm playing with the amp's kmobs, I usually just hit the same note over and over to hear the tone changes. It's not a gig..........
  17. you only get one chance to surprise someone. maybe xavier's the kind of guy who likes to keep his enemies in the dark. :ninja:
  18. mabye xavier was just haveing fun??~?? mabye hes at the point where hes sick of just playing crazy awesmome hard stuff, and he just wants to sit back, hit some notes that dont sound good to you, but hes just haveing fun??~?? after all, he was trying out the amp, mabye he was just seeing how different ntoes sound or something??~?? or mabye he was looking to see if this amp would be good for a student who really sucks and is so bad, that xavier played really bad to see if the amp was ok for the kid, mabye the kid was even you. just messing, but im thinking hes just haveing fun. theres no law that says you have to show off.

- w00t
  19. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    He probably doesnt want to be arrested for slappin' a ho in public.

I shall follow with the times...:ninja:
  20. another thought, mabye he doesent want to make you look bad or he doesent want you to feal all inferrior to him. Cause you might be like "your so good, i suck, im qutting" and he looses money. Hes smart.

- w00t :ninja: :hyper:

(woot for new faces ^_^)