1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

do you have to plug your speakers into a TonePort?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by benco, Mar 25, 2009.

1. benco

benco

Feb 19, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Okay, So I just bought a TonePort under the impression that you could use it as your input, and your soundcard as your output and get 0 latency monitoring for guitar rig etc. Now I'm reading that I have to plug my speakers into the analog out? what the christ?

Also, if this is true, could I run a cable from my analog out to my amp input, and get guitar rig effects going through my amp?

Thanks,
    Ben

2. beardo

beardo

Jan 16, 2009
    I've used my PodStudio GX that way, run an audio cable from the output to the amp's aux in.

I've also just switched to using the GX as my main sound output device and plugged my computer speakers into it.. I only had the onboard soundcard anyway.

3. benco

benco

Feb 19, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hmm. I could use it as basically a soundcard couldn't I...unless I'm missing some obvious cons to using that method..

4. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    The zero latency is possible out of the toneport itself because it's using dedicated hardware to affect the sound. Anytime you go through the sound card, you will get latency

5. beardo

beardo

Jan 16, 2009
    The biggest draw back that I could see is if you have an advanced card that supports gaming features (3D sound calculations and the like). You'd miss out on that if you used the toneport as your soundcard.