Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you have to take off the pickups on a jazz to put on a new pickguard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Basroil, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Basroil

Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    Also, would a fender one fit a SX Jazz?

Thanks!

2. leftyguy81

leftyguy81

Nov 11, 2005
    Negatory, its slips on over the pickups. Not sure about the SX thing tho.

3. Basroil

Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    Thanks. :)

4. no, you wont have to take off the pickups. about the fender pickgaurds you'd have a better fit emailing kurt about buying a new pickguard, i think the fenders wouldnt fit very well on SX's, but i could be wrong. i think it'd be cheaper if you bought a pickguard for kurt anyway

5. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    If you want a color that comes stock on any SX Jazz bass, e-mail Kurt and ask him because they might be able to sell you one. I got one from them for $10 shipped which is like 1/3 to 1/4 what you'd pay for a Fender one, and the holes will line up!

6. TechZilla

TechZilla

Jun 18, 2005
    Owensboro, KY
    You will probably have to hack on the Fender pickgaurd to fit the SX but it is possible. The neck pocket, and pickup cut were a little smaller on the one I got but with at little trimming I got it to fit. The screw holes were not perfect either but again with a litte work it will go on and work well. I didn't know you could get one from Rondo at the time since they are not listed as a part on their website. If you can get one there and not have to tinker with it, rock on.

7. Basroil

Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    Thanks for the help!