do you have to use only bass effects with your bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Leno, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Leno

Leno Guest

Nov 8, 2004
    noob question.

with the bass, can you only use bass effects pedals?

if so, how come? and if not so, how come not?

2. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    You can use anything; you may find that some FX will either not work well with the low notes produced by a bass or may suck some of the tone and / or lowend out of your sound.

However, if you get a chance, it's better to use your ears rather than immediately discounting everything that isn't clearly marketed at bassists.

3. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    If its an anologue effect, you will find that the bass is cut. They mainly use 150k pots which make them better at reproducing the high notes, rather than the low notes.
    If your a tech expert, just open the casing up, and replace a few resistors- then your sorted.
    Take a look at a bass effect schematic, and then a guitar schematic. You will see the difference
  4. Cliff em'All

Cliff em'All

Sep 27, 2004
    yep, actually all the effects im using right now are guitar effects and they sound great :morley power wah boost , big muff distortion , delay pedal :bassist:
  5. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I use any I can afford.
  6. boogiedown

Nov 1, 2004
    some kinds can be used for both, some shouldnt. Just try them first and see what they sound like with your bass. about half of my pedal board is guitar effects though.
  7. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Yeah, use whatever you want. I'm using a guitar wah pedal right now, and it sounds fine. :)

Graeme :bassist:
  8. TheBaron

Nov 1, 2004
    I use a T21 XXL, recorded it sounded ok cos of the mix but live you can barely hear it because of the loss of frequencies. it does give a different sound but I only use it one song for that reason, where theres no guitars over it.
  9. Luciano_Bass

Luciano_Bass Guest

Nov 6, 2004
    I use KORG AX100G - which is a multi effects foot pedal with my bass and I've no probalem with ti all - sound wise.

However, when I use the tuner, I need to use the octave harmonic on my low B string because for some reason it's jsut not hearing it. (I play 6-String).

I agree Wulf, really it's just down to your ears.
  10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They'll work either way. A bass signal, even active isn't enough to damage the circuitry of the effect, the sound may not be what you want, then again it may. Try it and let your ears decide.
  11. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    get a sansamp bddi. get a mixer. eq that signal to take up the low end. get as many guitar effects or ****ty bass effects that normally kill all tone and eq them and level them in to make the overall tone sound good. its messy as hell with the wiring buy sounds great.
  12. Leno

Leno Guest

Nov 8, 2004
    thanks for all the advice peeps... i'll bare it in mind when looking at effects :D