Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

do you know anything about Minneapolis?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by discoboo, Sep 20, 2004.

1. discoboo

discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    Hello TB'ers. Once again I dip into the well of knowledge available here.
    So, the discowife and I are seriously considering relocating to Minneapolis next spring and I was wondering if anyone here lives there or has any knowledge of the area, can give me pros/cons, etc...and don't mention that it gets cold b/c of course it gets cold, it's Minnesota.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated...Thanks.

2. sorry, no I don't. someone will though.

3. Sure, I lived there for about 5 years and grew up in southern Minnesota. What do you want to know?

Home prices - kinda high, depending on where you want to live and how much you want to commute.

Downtown - Saint Paul - boring but feels a bit like a small town. Minneapols - where the hip hang out, but parking's tough and can get kind of crime-ridden.

Schools - don't know. The University of Minnesota's probably one of the biggest in the U.S. (over 35,000 students at last check). Nice college.

Music shops a'plenty. Guitar stores good.

Fantastic place to find a good breakfast. No nasty chains here! (BTW, you MUST head to Al's Breakfast in Dinkytown when you get a chance).

Clubs - a little iffy. There's First Avenue, historic place, but some people like it more than others. Plenty of bars, though - it's Minnesota.

Can't buy beer on Sunday, unless you drive into Wisconsin, which many people do.

Prince lives there. So does some of the guys from Soul Asylum. And some of the ladies from Babes in Toyland.

Anything else?

4. we all know it gets cold there, but i think you ought to realize that you will be colder than you thought possible.

i moved from michigan to mississippi, and even though this past summer wasn't as hot as last summer, i still haven't gotten used to the heat and how long it stays hot. i keep thinking, "it's september, it'll be in the 60s soon enough," but that isn't for a couple more months.

it is no small change in weather moving from south carolina to minneapolis. not to warn you away, of course, but a tip that most people may not be able to offer. i know from experience how different it is.

robb.

5. discoboo

discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    hey y'all thanks for the responses. i guess what i'm trying to do is get a feel for the place, the people, etc...is there a decent music scene? music/record stores? what is the personality of the city? that sorta shtuff. i'm a bit sleepy as of this post so hopefully tomorrow i can elaborate...

6. I live in the Twin Cities and it is a very nice, progressive area (we're a Blue state). Still has good schools, great local and regional park systems.

The people really are quite friendly, once they get to know you. The local music scene has improved quite a bit since I moved here (1987). If you like outdoor activities, you will like MN. Good hunting and fishing, if you are so inclined. Great state parks, especially on the north shore (the part of Minnesota that borders lake Superior)

It does get pretty darn cold in the winter time, which lasts from mid November until April (we had some snow flurries today).

The job market is good, but housing is becoming very expensive. Winter heating costs can be quite high too.

If you are not used to the cold, it can take some getting use to (actually that's not true, you never get "use" to it).

All in all, it is a great place to live and raise a family. We really are "Minnesota nice", as long as you don't have a southern accent ;)