Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you know how to type

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Yes

36 vote(s)
    72.0%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    28.0%
  1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Since this is a message board, I was wondering how many people actually know how to type.

I'm a trained typist, and while posting on message boards, I sometimes take it for granted.

2. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Yes.

I took a Microsoft Office class during my freshman year. Prior to that, I I always thought my "2 finger" method worked. What a difference it made after learning how to type the proper way!

3. Yeah, I can type properly. I can type pretty much everything but the number row without looking at about 40 wpm w/ 3 errors or less.

It's amazing how many people though that can type faster than me, but still use the "hunt and peck" method.

4. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Well I never followed any proper guides or took any classes, but after being on a computer for 6 years I eventually adapted to the format.

I don't have to look at the keyboard anymore, and for the most part I think that I probably use the correct fingers to type each specific keys.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    When Im not thinking about it I dont have to look at the keyboard at all.

I took a typing class in high school and even though we spent most of the time playing Doom on the school's network I learned how to type faster. I still tend to type mostly with my right hand ut could do the proper hand position thing if I wanted.

This post though was typed while looking since you got me thinking about it. :p

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I took a typing course during the summer while in college. The teacher would instruct us for the first half hour of the class, then give us 5 or 6 pages to type saying we could leave when we were done. Jerks that were there just for the credit got to go home in 10 minutes, the rest of us learned to type really quickly. It was great motivation on a hot summer morning. I think that was probably the most useful class I've ever taken.

7. CaponeFactory

CaponeFactory Guest

Jun 23, 2004
    Dayton, ME
    In third grade, we were forced to take a typing class, and in my Freshman year in high school I took another one for the easy credit. So, in other words I use the home row keys to type and can easily do it without looking. I think my speed is around 70 words per minute.

8. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Took typewriter class in junior high (about '92 or '93) but haven't used it properly... it has sort of fused with the self-taught cross-handed disco swing style of typing that came to be in my earlier youth due to exposure to the Commodore 64 home computer.

So now I type like a freak, part proper touch style and part franken-style. Works OK for my own use.

9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Touch typing? Yep - that's what I do. I learnt it at school, reinforced it at university and have gone on using the skill since then. If you're going to spend any amount of time at a computer keyboard, it's worth investing a bit of time in learning the technique.

Wulf

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've been using a computer in my job for about 15 years and have never learned to type properly - I found it actually held those back who could touch type, when all our PCs went over to Windows and Mice!!

So - I was whizzing around the screen editing, copying and pasting and being about 10 times as productive as the people sitting next to me, who had learnt to touch type and were now desparately looking for hot keys or shortcuts to what the mouse did!! ;)

I've always foudn that I am far faster, using a combination of mouse and editing my mistakes, than any touch typist I have sat next to in those 15 or so years! :)

11. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    i have no idea, i use my index fingers and thumb for the space bar.

does anyone know of a website with any info on this? i realise its not something i can learn in 20 mins, but i would like have some idea. many thanks.

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Step 1.

Place your index fingers on the F and J keys.

Step 2.

Place the rest of your fingers over the A S D and KL; keys.

Step 3.

Reach for other keys while only moving the closest finger to it. Each key is actually assigned its own specific finger but in general its the closest one.

Step 4.

Realize that you wont get any more dates than you do now with this knowledge and give up.

13. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I learned typing but I'm not too good at it... its still a bit slower and has a couple of mistakes and sometimes I have to look down (mind you, the Hungarian alphabet has a bit more letters, so I have to look down for some rarely-used letters, which are placed a bit uncomfortably...)

My keyboard looks like this:

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ö ü ó ű [Backspace]
    [Tab] q w e r t z u i o p ő ú [Enter]
    [C Lck] a s d f g h j k l é á [Enter]
    [Shift] í y x c v b n m , . - [Shift]

etc...

14. I can type pretty fast, i took keyboarding in high school, and now im trying to type as fast as possible and i keep screwing up !

15. but hey, its still useful as hell

16. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Eh, I was forced to learn how to type in the 8th grade, I hated it at the time thinking my 2 finger style was FAR superior but now I'm very glad that I learned the correct way. I can type a good 80+ words a min accurately as well as on the number pad cuz all I do all day at work is type, data entry, write letters etc etc.

17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I use all but my two pinky fingers, they are luddites and oppose this new fangled thing called typing. I fly along with six fingers and two thumbs for the space bar though.

18. I always think that if I go up two rows and over two keys, it'll be the same letter... :)

Seriousl though, I've never learned proper typing. I have to look at the keys. I used to be pretty fast, but almost everything I do on the computer now is all mousing, pen-tableting or keyboard shortcutting. Not so much writing anymore. So my typing sucks now.

19. I have my own system of typing. But what really gets me off guard is the smaller keyboards that my fingers arn't used to...