do you know modes, chords, scales by heart?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jvasquez18, Apr 27, 2002.

1. none

3 vote(s)
  2. 1-5

18 vote(s)
  3. 5-15

7 vote(s)
  4. more...

23 vote(s)
  1. jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    i don't have a teacher so i'm not sure how to approach this. it seems like an awful lt of info to input. should i learn them by heart? or just learn the fretboard by heart and the rest'll come?

thanks in advance,
  2. I should have put "more."

The key is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. But don't just play the scales up and down and then play your same old licks; use the modes. Make up grooves using them, play melodies in them...I don't think I've written anything in major or natural minor in a couple of years.
  3. Off the subject a bit...but

Hey Peter, you kinda look like me excpet my nose is a bit sharper. Are you part Latino?
  4. I get asked this a lot--when I go to parties at the Latino frat here, a lot of people ask me if I'm one of the brothers. If I wanted to, I could probably pass as a mestizo or maybe a Puerto Rican.

Anyhow, I'm actually half-Greek (my mother's side; my father is Scots-Irish). Since most Greeks have a bit of Turkish in them--which came out very strongly in my appearance--this makes a lot of people think that I'm half-Asian.

Basically, I'm your garden-variety Ethnically Ambiguous 21st-Century American Guy.
  5. Ethnically Ambiguous 21st-Century American Guy. I gotta steal that one bro...good stuff. The term I use sometimes is
    "The Modern Day Multi Ethnic Warrior"

I'm 3/4 Mexican and 1/4 Austrian with a bit of Mexican Indian and French tossed in there. I figure my nose comes from my Austrian Great-Grandmother who I think was a converted Jew.
    It's funny though cause I've been asked before if I was Greek, Turkish, Persian, Armenian, Terrorist (lol). I find it funny as hell.

One day all Americans will be so mixed that nobody will know every single race they have in them. Then all the hardcore White Power peeps will move to Magical Fairy Land where everyone is pale of skin.

Oh and this is trippy B-day is 2 days before yours, except you're 82 and I'm 81.
    Keep rocking bro.

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Damn, and I thought I was getting old.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I only know 4 modes by heart, but if you are including scales and chords, I can't count the total.

Once you understand chord construction, you can play any chord in existence, provided that you have enough strings(and fingers).
  8. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

yes sir! the trick is to not think "ok, D-7, here's the scale that goes along with this chord," but to know what a -7 chord is in relation to the major scale, what it's modal function is, and harmonic function.

once you know that stuff (not that hard) it's easy pleasy.
  9. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Well, I want to say more than 5-15 but I'm gonna go with that. By heart, I can play all the modes of the C major scale (and name them). But I admit it gets trickier for me when I get into other major scales. Well....and as for chords, I think I know most of the major and minor chords by heart.

Now I think there's way too many chords and scales to even ever know them all by heart. Maybe basic ones. I'm working on my Cycle of 5ths and trying to memorize all the major scales (and relatives minors) right now. One step at a time does it! :) As for chords: same thing. Basic. Major. Minor. 7ths...and like said, work on their functions.
  10. Damn straight. Knowing what moods, dissonances, and resolutions are established by the various chords has helped me a lot.
  11. Are we talking about knowing all of the notes in all major/minor/etc scales, or just the positions used in each?
  12. jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    just the positions becasue i'm sure that with a simple warm-up the fretboard knowledge will come in handy.
  13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I know a fair amount of them, but i'm not nearly as trained as the smartly peoples on talkbass. And i want to go to music school at college,, but

14. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I wasn't sure if you were talking about the fingerings/positions for playing them on bass, or the scales/chords themselves.

Either way, it's more than 15 - which is what I voted. If you're just talking about knowing the scales themselves off by heart, then it's, err... loads. In terms of actually playing them on bass without thinking, it's fewer, but still a fair few.
  15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well I agree it's a bit of a silly question - if you know one major scale on bass then just shift what you're playing up or down semi-tones or tones to get all the other major scales. So - if you know one minor you can also play all of them! :rolleyes:

Of course it's easier if you have a 5, 6 or 7 string bass, as you can just keep shifting "patterns" across the fretboard without running out of strings!
  16. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    The important thing to know is how all these things fit together and having the dexterity to turn that knowledge into music. Know where to find the notes up and down the fretboard (how many F#'s can you play) and away you go.

Running up and down scales is valuable for practise, but there's much more to making music than being able to boast that you can play all seven modes of the major scale in all 12 keys (discounting enharmonic equivalence)...

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree completely and that's why the poll is essentially meaningless or just "silly"! :D
  18. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    It is indeed a lot of stuff to know - if you try to memorize it all. The key is to UNDERSTAND how scales, chords etc are put together - then, you won't need to memorize, and you'll save a lot of time.

For instance - you could memorize various "patterns" of melodic minor scales, or you could learn what makes a melodic minor scale different from a minor scale, and adapt accordingly.

In any case, learning this stuff is one thing. Integrating it into what you play in a "game situation" is much more difficult and takes a whole lot longer.
  19. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I know a couple of scales, and I actually am Puerto-Rican. :)