Do you know of this instrument?

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by mss, Sep 11, 2004.

1. mss

Sep 11, 2004
    Hello Steve and Michael,

I am wondering if either of you might be familiar with a bass builder named Tobias Chenelle, who resides in England. One of the instruments he builds is the "Arco Acoustic Bass Guitar":

I have tried to obtain a recording of the instrument, but have not been successful; there are some sound samples on the website, but they don't demonstrate much, and a couple of the bowed open strings sound fairly wolfy. If you happen to have encountered one of these basses, I would be interested in your thoughts.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Looks like a cello with a long neck. Interesting.
  3. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    sounds like you could get similar results from retuning a cello, and putting better tuners on it. I've got a knackered old cello that I bought for £100 off a friend, and have a lot of fun with it, playing it pizz. mainly. I can even sit it on my lap (I once saw a cellist doing this and playing it with a pick! :) )

4. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    The Arco Acoustic Bass Guitar is new to me, Mark. Looks interesting!
  5. A bass playing friend of mine has a cello that he converted to 5 strings tuned in fourths (like a bass). Covers pretty much the same range as the cello and much easier for him to switch between the two.