Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you know of this instrument?

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by mss, Sep 11, 2004.

1. mss

mss

Sep 11, 2004
    Hello Steve and Michael,

I am wondering if either of you might be familiar with a bass builder named Tobias Chenelle, who resides in England. One of the instruments he builds is the "Arco Acoustic Bass Guitar":

http://members.aol.com/arcouk/arco_acoustic_bass_guitar.htm

I have tried to obtain a recording of the instrument, but have not been successful; there are some sound samples on the website, but they don't demonstrate much, and a couple of the bowed open strings sound fairly wolfy. If you happen to have encountered one of these basses, I would be interested in your thoughts.

Thanks

Mark

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Looks like a cello with a long neck. Interesting.

3. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    sounds like you could get similar results from retuning a cello, and putting better tuners on it. I've got a knackered old cello that I bought for £100 off a friend, and have a lot of fun with it, playing it pizz. mainly. I can even sit it on my lap (I once saw a cellist doing this and playing it with a pick! :) )

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

4. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    The Arco Acoustic Bass Guitar is new to me, Mark. Looks interesting!

5. A bass playing friend of mine has a cello that he converted to 5 strings tuned in fourths (like a bass). Covers pretty much the same range as the cello and much easier for him to switch between the two.