Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you know those Bartolinis

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by myszow, May 14, 2005.

1. myszow

myszow

May 1, 2005
    Do you know those pickups? P-bass set of "8W4 B" and "8W4 N" and J-bass pickup "9E S". Can anyone tell me anything about them?

thanks
    msz

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

N & B & S & L are standard abbreviations for neck and bridge (kind of wierd on a P pup) and short and long. The 9E-S is the short version of the Bart Active J "set". I have a set of those and the 9E-S is actually a passive Bart J they chose as compatible with the Active pup. Can be ran by itself like any other passive and is probably just one of their standard J's, although I don't know that for a fact - sounds like one. The 9E bridge contains the preamp and is active. Don't know if all Bart actives are that way but I know at least two of their active sets are - and they haven't make many. The 9E is listed on the standard Bart J page on their site.

3. myszow

myszow

May 1, 2005
    Thanks for your answer! I am not into bass too much so what is short and long pickup?

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Fender, the first jazz bass, made his J pups different lengths because the string spacing is closer together at the neck (pickup closer to the neck) than the bridge pickup. So, the neck pickup is S - short. The bridge pickup L - long.

Most manufacturers have followed in suit - including Bartolini.