Do you let other people use your bass?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Rockgurl, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    I was at a show when a friend of the drummer asked to play a song with my band. He was a bass player so I sort of felt obliged to let him use my bass as she knew him. As soon as he got up to play I wish I hadn't though, as he was really drunk and falling all over the place and I was scared he'd bash my bass on the guitarist or something. When I got the bass back the strings felt different...he must have been quite hard on them and bending them because they didn't feel right. That was when I used my I have my Warwick Thumb I have told the rest of the band that under no circumstances is anyone ever going to play my bass.

I don't want to mean or rude, but that bass is my pride and joy and cost a lot of money, and I just don't trust anyone enough to be as careful with it as me. What do you guys think?
    Gearhead17 and Oddly like this.
  2. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    my bass' are my babies. the onyl one i would let someone use is my MIM p-bass because its not my main bass, and i dont have to be a dickhead.
    MicRidley likes this.
  3. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I never let anyone play my bass. It's too personal for me. It's my instrument. If someone wants to play (sit in) for me, they can bring their own bass.

I don't really care if they play through my amp as long as they leave it alone, but never my bass.

I don't want someone else's spit, drool, sweat, or sticky alcoholic fingers touching my bass. Plus you never know if the person who wants to play your bass cares enough to be careful with it or not.

I don't let others touch mine and I won't even consider playing someone else's.

There are some caveats to that though. I'd trust my guitar player to play it, and a few other people that I know and respect. If it was someone I had respect for that I felt comfortable enough to let them play it, I would consider it. But it really is a case by case thing. Generally, as a way.
    jazzyvee likes this.
  4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Bass, no.

Amp, yes.
    jonnybass1 and AltGrendel like this.
  5. nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    The last time I let someone use one of my basses, it came back with a nasty ding in the bottom. Good thing it wasn't my Lakland, or there would have been blood shed that day.

As a general rule, no.
    Mr.Ace likes this.
  6. It has to be someone I like and that I trust. I would not just let some random pants come up and play it. Hell no.

One thing I hate is when someone picks up my bass (usually another band member), who has recently eaten something, or has sticky hands for some other reason puts their paws all over my bass. I've giving some verbal tongue lashings over it and threatened to spread peanut butter and jelly all over their instruments if the continued to do so.
    fretlessguy likes this.
  7. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Right now I probably don't care. I'm new. I have a beat up pbass. However, if I got something that was worth something that I'd probably only let people I trust play it.
  8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Rule: I don't know them personally, I don't let them touch my gear.

Learn it, live it.

Nothing worse than when a "friend of a friend" sits in for one song after he just finished hand-eating a plate of greasy wings minutes earlier, without washing his hands . . . :scowl:
  9. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    You're kidding, right? It'd be a cold day in hell before I let anyone use my amp. If you touch my woman, we'll have words, but if you touch my bass, that's a hostile act and it'll be responded to accordingly. :D
  10. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    No. Never. Nada. Nope. Hell no! etc, etc, etc, etc, etc...
  11. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    I only let people I know and trust play mine. If I don't know somebody, but I watch them play another bass and they know what they are doing and seem to have a good handle on it, then I probably will let them.
    NG51 likes this.
  12. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I would let any of the guitar players on our Worship Team use my gear. They are pro level guitarists and treat their instruments with care.

As for somebody just borrowing my gear. No way. Had to many things get trashed that way.

I even hesitate to let my daughter use my basses because of the crazy belts she wears. All of her gear has buckle rash on it. That bugs me.
  13. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    One advantage to being left-handed
  14. I know exactly what you mean! I am happy to let the other bass players/guitar players from our worship team use my bass, as I know they look after their own gear really well, but will never let them take my bass home.

One of the bassists in our church let the guitar player take one of his basses home for couple of days. Now the guitar player is a really nice guy, but, his 2 year old son is a bit of a handful. His lovely maple (or was it ash - a blonde wood of some sort - duh) came back covered in blue ballpoint pen and felt tip marks :eek:
    Result - one very apologetic guitarist, and one freaked out bassist!!

Likewise, I also freak out when my 9 year old daughter tries to pick my bass up, I know I should be encouraging her, but I'm way too much of a control freak. The thought of sticky fingers, and her bashing it on surrounding furniture gives me the horrors - I'm not worried about the furniture, just my bass!
  15. +1 on the lefty advantage - no one ever even asks....
    Gearhead17 likes this.
  16. maverick

Mar 8, 2005
    London England
    im with the whole trust thing. i have let others play my bass but only those who i know well and know they will respect it. she's been with me half my life.... longer than the wife and kids! :)
  17. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I'm only going to let people I know and trust use my bass. If I don't know you then don't ask if you can play it because my answer is no. If I know you and don't trust you to treat it with care, then you're **** out of luck too.

There's only 3 people that I'd let use my bass in a pinch.
  18. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I wouldn't even let Marcus Miller use my bass "in a pinch". If he forgot his own, that's his problem. :D
    Joeschmo12 likes this.
  19. A friend of mine was trying to set up a little project.. Nothing big and his friend plays bass,... My friend is a vocalist.... I trusted my friend.. so I said ok.. Man what a mistake his friend did'nt take care of it at all.. Now my bass isn't some all-mighty expensive guitar.. It's worth about $500 but now probably $250.... And the pedal is worth $400.... I would'nt let anyone other then my significant other touch my bass or my pedal...... I've been screwed too many times already... And I don't know it at least for me feels like there's an aura around your bass, residual energy from numerous times of an owners playing on it and to have some hick with sweaty palms touching my bass makes me want to... well, beat him with his own mothers ugly stick....
  20. Feda

Feda Screwed up pitch

Jan 12, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    I've loaned my warwick lx5 to a metal band who wanted to use it in studio. Have no problems letting other people use it on stage either, allthough i think I would get pretty violent if something happened :p
    eukatheude likes this.