1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do You Let Your Kids Play With Your Music Gear?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jive1, Mar 20, 2013.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Just curious, do you let your kids play with or use your music gear?

I do up to a point. I want my son to be comfortable around instruments, how to play them, and how to take care of them. There are some instruments or pieces of equipment that he's not allowed to play with unsupervised, and he's definitely not allowed to touch anything that isn't mine or is at the shop. But he's a toddler, so I gotta be careful anyway. But I do let him handle my bass, plug in pedals, turn knobs and sliders, etc.

2. Cmymud

Cmymud

Oct 19, 2009
    Prince George, VA
    I bought them there own gear :)

3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Funny you should ask that.

I have two granddaughters living with me, ages 8 and 5. Every now and then one of them sits on my lap while I'm practicing and I'll show them how to pluck and fret, but a 78 P-Bass is way more than their little fingers can handle so they lose interest pretty fast. We solved that by getting each of them child-sized replica guitars ($25 at Menards) that don't have a lot of musical value but look like the real thing and let them "play along with papa".

Witness below each of them... my "folkie" (doing her best Lisa Loeb), and her little sister, the rocker...

Attached Files:

4. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Yes, but they are both in their late teens, and both are very responsible.

5. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    My kids have learned how to handle gear from an early age. My oldest got his first Fender at 6 months. He got a Gibson Les Paul Studio and a ticket to a Santana concert for his 6th birthday. I have no problems with them handling gear within reason...

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1363815605.530225.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1363815648.596264.

Z -Bar likes this.
  6. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Smart dad... you've got him working on his singing skills early on!

7. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    And they do have their own gear too...here are more pix...

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1363815838.078921.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1363815898.618101.

8. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    And more...

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1363815951.182132.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1363815981.932698.

9. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    And the newest member of the family...Andecy...She's going to be the most ass kickingest girl sound guy ever...

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1363816112.094953.

10. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    Yes I've got a fretless jazz copy in my living room that my 3 year old son can play with. I let him pluck and bang the strings (he knows the names of the open strings now).
    A few weeks ago I showed him a walking bass line and asked him if he wanted to try. He laid it on the floor and with a look of deep concentration on his face, he stepped onto the strings by the bridge and slowly, like a tight-rope walker, he walked all the way to the headstock! Cracked me up. He looked so proud when I told him that was the coolest walking bass I'd ever seen. Bless :)

I haven't shown him my custom P-bass yet ;)

11. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    That pic with the Ric and the mic...he set that up on his own...I walked into the room and he was singing The Itsy Bitsy Spider...accompanying himself with a 4001...kid's got expensive taste. He's 10 now and asking for a Ric 660 and a Selmer sax...

12. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    That's a great story and a great example of kids' linear logic at that age!

13. BumbleB

BumbleB

Mar 19, 2013
    aurora, colorado
    My daughter is 8. We are a musical family and she is expressing interest in music more these days so we don't want to squelch it. She has her own recorder (two now actually) which she takes pretty good care of and I've let her play a few riffs on my bass before. She's not supposed to touch my gear unless I'm there. I take her to the music store with as often as possible so she can see and play with the various types of gear. We are thinking about getting her another instrument and some lessons in the not so distant future, probably looking at this for her birthday in the summer.

14. ma4rk

ma4rk

Jun 28, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    My daughter does my tech work.

Attached Files:

15. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    yes..but my youngest at 19 & 20 w/jobs. So, if they break it, they replace it!

16. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Mine are 8 and 14, and have proven themselves to handle my music gear with care and respect. It was a learning process, though.

17. We (grandparents and our adult kids) only let the grandchildren play with our gear while supervised - but our grandchildren also have pretty nice gear of their own.

18. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Gear my kids (5 and 7) can touch:

An old 60's FMIC Terrega classical guitar, an Alvarez acoustic, a drumset, a keyboard, and there are little things like bongos and such.

Gear they can touch under my close supervision:

My amp, my bass, my guitarjo (6 string banjo), my mics, my pedalboard. Mainly because I need them functional for gigging.

Gear I won't allow them to touch:

Nothing. I want to build a music fun environment for my kids.

19. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    I wish I could get them to play with my music gear.

It breaks my heart that they're more into Facebook and Minecraft.

SBassman likes this.
  20. silvertone

silvertone

Nov 6, 2007
    SF, CA
    I told my kid, "don't touch my frikkin' guitars."

Now he's in several SF Based bands and plays both lead guitar (Strat) and electric bass (3/4 scale Kay Pbass). He's 14.