1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do you like fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paniak17, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Its a simple question, and I would like to here your comments, me being a big fender liker.

2. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Sure, I like them... Don't use them but I like them.. I'd guess 85% to 90% of the world's most famous basslines were recorded on a Fender.

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I like them. I own two of them and am quite happy playing them.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like the Precision bass. The end

I like the sound of the Jazz bass, but not the styling.

5. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    I have a Standard Jazz MIM. I like the tone but i'm not impressed by the quality.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I like both of mine. Ones a modded squier, and one's a MIA DLX Jazz. I am kinda thinking of getting another leo fender inspired design sometime.

7. SeeSharp

SeeSharp

Sep 26, 2002
    Georgia
    I guess I like them but I like ibanez more.

8. Simple answer, yes I do.
    I play (not exclusively) a MIM 5-string jazz and I find that I can get a world of variation in the tone. I am not totally happy with the over all feel of the bass, its a bit "stiff" for me, but its what i have and it gets the job done nicely.
    As a side note, i also have (and play) a texas fat strat that is an absolute dream...I will be selling it soon though, so I can afford to buy more bass stuff.

9. I love Fenders. For the longest time i used to be a Fender only guy. I tried everything i could get my hands on in my area and nothing really captured my attention like a Fender.
    Until that is...i found myself Rickenbacker, which now i have to say is my main weapon of choice.
    I sold a few of my Fenders but l have a still keep few Fenders around. ;)

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    They're ok, but not really for me.

I'd buy one if it were a good specimen and a bargain price, but not a new one.

11. I like Fenders for certain sounds.

Much like I like Gibsons for certain sounds.

I gig Fender, I gig Gibson. I gig G&L, I gig Italia. I gig homemade. They all sound different. Thats' the main criteria. I don't see the need for repeats on the same theme. Kinda a silly idea to me, but to each his own.

For me, list of importance:

sound
    feel
    look

resale value considerations are dead last.

12. If they ever got their QC together and had better electronics, yes I would like Fenders. But in reality, no. Most of the ones I have played have been much more miss than hit.

Toward that end I love Fender style basses done RIGHT. To me that means....SADOWSKY.

13. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I have never met a Fender I didn't like.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I love anything Leo Fender designs. Stingrays and P-basses are my weapons of choice. Jazz basses are fine if they have a fatter Precision neck. That's my next weapon.

15. mybluespector

mybluespector

Mar 22, 2004
    Joplin, Mo
    You can always trust that they can get you were you want but they r kinda boring! I played fenders my entire life till i ought my warwick and spector now i cant seem to get into one!

16. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I own a MIA jazz and a precision and I love them.

17. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I like their design, sound, availibility, availablity of parts, ease of use, good balance, etc..

18. I've never owned a Fender but for instruments that have been existing for half a century, that says something.

I'm more of a Music Man person, which are technically genetically evolved versions of Fenders :)

One day though I'd like to get a P-Bass and trick it out into a Jamerson Funk Machine axe, though I also like the raw P sound. or some strange reason though I like the way others play a Jazz bass, I couldn't for the life of me get a decent tone out of it when I play it myself. Go figure!

19. I love the Jazz series from fender. The standard is pretty damn nice in my opinion.

what about the new s-1 switching system has anyone tried that out?

20. I own a MIM jazz bass, but I don't play ths instrument anymore. It's just that I don't really like the neck, that's why I switched to musicman.
    I always like the tone of my jazz, but it's nothing compared to my stingray, it has not that extra growhl and punchy mids, I like to use.