Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you like fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paniak17, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Its a simple question, and I would like to here your comments, me being a big fender liker.

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Sure, I like them... Don't use them but I like them.. I'd guess 85% to 90% of the world's most famous basslines were recorded on a Fender.

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I like them. I own two of them and am quite happy playing them.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like the Precision bass. The end

I like the sound of the Jazz bass, but not the styling.

5. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    I have a Standard Jazz MIM. I like the tone but i'm not impressed by the quality.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I like both of mine. Ones a modded squier, and one's a MIA DLX Jazz. I am kinda thinking of getting another leo fender inspired design sometime.

7. SeeSharp

SeeSharp

Sep 26, 2002
    Georgia
    I guess I like them but I like ibanez more.

8. Simple answer, yes I do.
    I play (not exclusively) a MIM 5-string jazz and I find that I can get a world of variation in the tone. I am not totally happy with the over all feel of the bass, its a bit "stiff" for me, but its what i have and it gets the job done nicely.
    As a side note, i also have (and play) a texas fat strat that is an absolute dream...I will be selling it soon though, so I can afford to buy more bass stuff.

9. I love Fenders. For the longest time i used to be a Fender only guy. I tried everything i could get my hands on in my area and nothing really captured my attention like a Fender.
    Until that is...i found myself Rickenbacker, which now i have to say is my main weapon of choice.
    I sold a few of my Fenders but l have a still keep few Fenders around. ;)

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    They're ok, but not really for me.

I'd buy one if it were a good specimen and a bargain price, but not a new one.

11. I like Fenders for certain sounds.

Much like I like Gibsons for certain sounds.

I gig Fender, I gig Gibson. I gig G&L, I gig Italia. I gig homemade. They all sound different. Thats' the main criteria. I don't see the need for repeats on the same theme. Kinda a silly idea to me, but to each his own.

For me, list of importance:

sound
    feel
    look

resale value considerations are dead last.

12. If they ever got their QC together and had better electronics, yes I would like Fenders. But in reality, no. Most of the ones I have played have been much more miss than hit.

Toward that end I love Fender style basses done RIGHT. To me that means....SADOWSKY.

13. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I have never met a Fender I didn't like.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I love anything Leo Fender designs. Stingrays and P-basses are my weapons of choice. Jazz basses are fine if they have a fatter Precision neck. That's my next weapon.

15. mybluespector

mybluespector

Mar 22, 2004
    Joplin, Mo
    You can always trust that they can get you were you want but they r kinda boring! I played fenders my entire life till i ought my warwick and spector now i cant seem to get into one!

16. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I own a MIA jazz and a precision and I love them.

17. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I like their design, sound, availibility, availablity of parts, ease of use, good balance, etc..

18. I've never owned a Fender but for instruments that have been existing for half a century, that says something.

I'm more of a Music Man person, which are technically genetically evolved versions of Fenders :)

One day though I'd like to get a P-Bass and trick it out into a Jamerson Funk Machine axe, though I also like the raw P sound. or some strange reason though I like the way others play a Jazz bass, I couldn't for the life of me get a decent tone out of it when I play it myself. Go figure!

19. I love the Jazz series from fender. The standard is pretty damn nice in my opinion.

what about the new s-1 switching system has anyone tried that out?

20. I own a MIM jazz bass, but I don't play ths instrument anymore. It's just that I don't really like the neck, that's why I switched to musicman.
    I always like the tone of my jazz, but it's nothing compared to my stingray, it has not that extra growhl and punchy mids, I like to use.