Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you like my setup? (that i'm about to order)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Wrincle, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Yes. It's a great setup to start with.

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. No. Something's wrong with it. (specify why)

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  1. Wrincle

Wrincle

Aug 26, 2004
    Soon, I will buy my first bass guitar setup from Axe Music and i'm wondering if you people know if it's good or not. I think it's good, I have heard good things about ESP and Behringer, etc, but I need your stories too just to be sure.

My setup:

-ESP LTD F-104 (4 string) (Link)

-Behringer BX600 60 watt / 1x12" amp
    -Kepur Spider Graphic 2" Black Guitar Strap
    -Levys EM8 Electric Bass Gigbag
    -Player's Choice Professional 20' Instrument Cable

Thanks for your time. :D

2. very, very nice bass, i'd just worry about that behringer. i would rethink the amp. if you want a cheap good one, look at peavey, or those ibanez amps (think SW65) are pretty good too.

Charlie

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    This would probably be better in Misc. - moved.

4. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Definitely rethink the amp.

Can't hardly beat Peavey or maybe the Fender Rumble series. I don't have one, but I tried a couple (60 and 100) at a local store long enough to consider buying one if I needed it. Sounded decent, even if the neon tube was cheezy. Are they still doing the neon?

And the Ibanez combos mentioned earlier are pretty slick too. Tried those out as well.

Hartke Kickbacks are [supposedly[ pretty good.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Have you played that bass through that amp? Do you like it? Do you play well on it compared to other basses? Is the sound pleasing to you? If those answers aren't to your liking then look for something else. If you feel like there is no improvement to be made when compared to others in that price range then go for it.

brad cook

6. Wrincle

Wrincle

Aug 26, 2004
    Unfortunately, I cant play any of what i'm getting, since I am ordering it from a different city. I tried a nice Peavey amp with a Samick Corsair bass (i think it was a something basic 80w) at my local music shop, but that's it, and it costs WAY too much for me (the amp).

I am supposed to be in my friend's band and they tell me I need an amp that's 60w or bigger...since they all have 60-100 w amps and everyone would wash my sound out if it was less than that. Do you think a 30-60w amp would be able to keep up? That's the only thing keeping me away from a smaller amp, their amps.

Thanks for your replies, I would have made a wrong choice :eek: .

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If the guitarists are using 60-100 watt amps, you will not be able to hear the bass. Especially if they are using distortion. You reall need 3 times the wattage of the guitar to be heard. It takes a lot more power to amplify the lows from a bass than it does to make the mids and highs from a guitar heard. I have had guys using 15 watt tube guitar amps drown out a 130 watt bass amp.

8. Wrincle

Wrincle

Aug 26, 2004
    Oh my.

So that means I NEED an amp that's 3 times as good as theirs? Isn't there some other way...

And another question: If I bought a 300w cabinet, would I have to buy a head? I'm a n00b so I don't know what goes with what.

My budget is 850 bucks CANADIAN, and I can't go very far past that. Maybe 950. The current setup I want (with a Peavey amp instead of a Behringer) goes to 850.

:crying:

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Wrincle,

If you don't have a bass rig that can be heard over the guitars then your only hope is the band's PA system that you can run your rig through. Otherwise....they'll have to turn down.

brad cook

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No. It has the B-word in it.

11. Wrincle

Wrincle

Aug 26, 2004
    Well, I ordered my stuff.

- Ibanez SRX300IPT 4 string bass
    - Peavey Microbass III amp
    - Levy's gig bag
    - Comfy guitar strap
    - 20' Inst. Cable

I'm stoked to get it.

12. Should have bought used, I got two 118 500w cabinets and 300w head to run them for 400 dollars canadian, you could have gotten yourself a great amp for close to 1000. This guy near me was actually selling an old SVT300w head and a 910 cabinet together for 950, it wasn't an 810, it was actually a 910 weird eh?