Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do You like Nintendo Music?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Against Will, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
  2. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Do I liek Nintendo music?!!? Check out my site: http://www28.brinkster.com/midikong/default.htm , over 140 tabs, mostly snes, all with midi files too boot and a gnarly flash animation featuring didy kong..I mean midi kong jamming out on the Super Mario World intro set :p

PS - thanks for the link, i'm checking 'em out now!

3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    the keyboard player in my band can play the music from all the levels from super mario brothers from the original nes. funny thing is is he's only 19 and didnt even grow up in the nes generation. playstation was already big when he was a youngster. :confused:

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Megaman = coolest music ever. I consider those games a big influence in my work.

5. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    Are you sure? Because I'm 18, and I played NES and SNES all the time when I was little. Rad Racer all the way. Probably wasn't until I was 12 that playstation really entered the picture....

6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    so i just took a listen. i love it :D :bassist:

7. I'm 20, and I played atari games before I graduated to nes. Your keyboard player is most definitely in the nes generation.

8. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    he just turned 19 and by his own admission he didnt grow up on nes ;) he got tail end of snes and early playstation.

if youre 20 and you were still playing atari, id say you were just woefully behind the times :D atari was a gen x era system and theyre in their 30's now. im 23 and didnt get my snes until i was around 12 i think and that was 93'ish. by that time i was one of the last people at school to get one.

9. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I definately remember playing NES when I was like 5 or 6. My mom wouldn't get it for me, but I'd go over to my friend's houses and such. I remember when there were like 3 games:

Mario/Duck Hunt
    A weird RPGish game that I could never figure out how to play
    A baseball game

There probably were more, but those were the ones I remember playing all the time at this one person's house. I also have memories of Mario 2 (wow, no one remembers that one do they?) and mario 3. And Spy Hunter.

I used to have a bunch of clips on my computer of people beating Mario 2 and 3, Ghost and Goblins, Metroid, Contra and Castlevania in like 10 or 15 minutes. They were insane.

10. Okay, I got all the MP3s and I freakin' love these guys...Mega Man 2 especially, WOW that brings back some memories! I never noticed how hard some of these songs are; that takes some skill! I'm in the process of downloading some videos now, but they're REALLY slow.

Question: is the website really supposed to look like that, with the random garish colors and nonsense characters, or is my computer not displaying it right? It hurts my eyes! :eyebrow:

BTW, I'm 22, and definitely a member of the Nintendo generation...I was one of the last to get an NES (got a broken one at a garage sale for $10, my dad fixed it by cleaning it :hyper: ) and got a SNES later. Before that I had an Atari 2600, which was lots of fun too. Screw all the newer systems, NES and SNES cannot be beat. :bassist:

11. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I'm 18 (just turned on sunday) and I remember playing NES, I remember getting SNES when it came out, I got it for christmas and the games were Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Turtles in Time.

12. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Yes it is. It's the whole "artsy" thing going. You want hard to navigate, try Menomena's website. It swear it seemed like half the links were in japanese.

13. Mario 2 was actually my favorite among the original three. Quite a departure from the original and way different than 3.

14. jello

jello

Apr 13, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    This is dragging stuff horribly off-topic but anyway...

Mario 2 wasn't actually a mario game. In japan it was a game called Doki Doki Panic and featured an arabian family. The 'real' mario two used more or less the same tilesets as the original just with a new set of levels. They were considerably harder than the 1st game and nintendo decided american audiences weren't up to the challenge so they instead did a few months worth of tweeking and polishing on Doki, slapped in some mario sprites and called it a day. You can see some of what japan got as mario 2 in the lost level sections of the mario collection thing.

15. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    That's really interesting, and explains a lot about the game. It's kind of funny how some of the enemies from that game ended up in the mario pantheon, like the Boo guy and that egg-shooting dinosaur.

But yeah, the Japanese do dumb down a lot of their games for Americans. The only possible except I can think of is the Emerald and Ruby Weapons in FFVII, which weren't even mandatory.

16. jm1

jm1

Nov 12, 2003
  17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    When I got Zelda: The wind waker, since I pre-ordered it, I got a bonus disc with the Zelda: Ocarina of time, AND the Ocarina of time MASTER QUEST. Master quest was the japanese release, it's like, way harder, I could barely make it through the FIRST DUNGEON!

It's funny, I never really considered MArio 2 to be a Mario game, it bared no semblance to mario 1 or mario 3, I just didn't count it really, BUT, I still enjoyed playing it. There was something about it that was very entertaining.

Of course, my favorite mario game, and maybe my favorite video game of all time, is Super Mario World for the SNES.

18. Super Mario World was and is my favorite too. But I hope you've checked out Yoshi's Island, which came at the very end of the SNES but is sooooooo good.

I'm a total NES freak...I'm so pumped up that they're releasing a Mega Man compilation on PS2. That's going to be real sweet to have them all on one CD. My NES from when I was 6 is still holding up somehow, but it's getting crankier and crankier in its old age about playing games. My NES is like a demanding boyfriend, it demands a lot of....well, if you have an NES, ya know :)