Do you like silk?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Flatwound, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Yes. It's essential. Won't buy strings without it.

5 vote(s)
  2. Yeah, it's OK, but not that big a deal.

8 vote(s)
  3. I hate it, it looks stupid.

7 vote(s)
  4. Absolutely, completely, totally don't give a hoot.

6 vote(s)
  1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I like silked ends on my strings. I could live without it if I had to, but I like how it looks, and it also seems to help keep the strings from slipping, particularly on those big fat untapered Fender string posts.
  2. Yeah, it's OK, but not that big a deal.

3. I like silk inside the windings (TI JF344 & JR344).

About silked ends:

Wish someone would experiment with unwoven silk tape instead of strands.

At least everyone who silks could use some righteous glue.

Isn't the deal to silk over the end of the string if you start stretching the windings out? In that case it becomes all to easy to fracture the winding, and the silk prevents metal-to-metal contact. Maybe it's an answer to a question no one asked.
  4. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Helps prevent the string slipping on the post,
    and also helps mute some over/undertones.

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I dislike it a lot, it gets caught when I'm pulling the strings through the bridge and gets all frayed, thus looking like absolute junk. I MUCH prefer non-silked ends.
  6. No silk for me. I use cheapy strings anywho for my rock/cover band. I'd like to be in a band where I was able to experiment w/ my sound some more. Get the little stuff tweaked in like string types.
  7. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    I don't like silk.. well, I dont mind it if they are the same colour, but I would preferr none. I hate the look of Slow Wounds (E-Pink, A-Blue, D-Black, G-Green).. I think it looks like poop, but I like the strings so...
  8. Hehe, Noname Brand... If you think the Slowound e-string silk is pink, just be glad you don't play a 5-string :D

At first I didn't like the colours of Slowounds either - thought it made my bass look like something Fisher-Price Toys came up with - but I grew to like them. Especially the fact that they are the only silked strings were the silk stops/starts at the same distance from the nut. Never understood why they didn't do that on other silked strings :confused:. But a set of frayed, torn, boiled Slowounds with faded colours surely doesn't look good. Now I'm mostly using DR's so silk is not an issue for me, and I really don't think it does anything for the sound/durabillity, except if the silk is under the windings as in TI's.
  9. j_sun23

Feb 24, 2003
    Baton Rouge LA
    I started wearing silk two years ago, and now it's all I can wear!

Anything else chaffes me bum and naughty bits...:eek:

;) ;)
  10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I hate silk, because the loose winding underneath it tends to break.
    I prefer strings that are just cut off at the end, and I've never experienced that the winding came off.
  11. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Hehe.. Funny you say that.. I had to buy a 5-string set because my local music store was taking too long to get strings in.. I see that The B string is a nice shade of purple!! LOL!

Not my set, they are all uneven.. looks kinda bad but I don't care.
  12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Soooo...ehhh...what was it the silk on the inside of TI's does?
  13. blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    I hate silk! I have a nice black stingray and an Ibanez K5 and I put Rotosound strings on both of them but it really looks horrible -those big red ends just screwing up the natural beauty going on . So I tried to get it off using various methods but in the end i just put up with it. Im thinking about getting a big black pen.....
  14. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Sick of silk!!!

I was tired of having the little silk threads all over the headstock. So I don't use strings with silk any more.
  15. I absolutely despise silk on my strings. First thing I do when I buy a new bass is remove the stock strings, since most come with silk on them. I just think it looks tacky.