1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do you like sports because they are violent?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by baba, Aug 29, 2007.

1. I've come to the realization that the primary reason I like sports is because of the violence. I like to watch football, lacrosse, UFC, boxing, and rugby. Lacrosse and football are also the sports I really enjoyed playing as a kid. I am terminally bored with baseball, soccer, basketball, tennis...non-violent sports. It must be the full contact element that I'm digging.

Is this common, or am I just a freak who likes watching people hit each other?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I think there are quite a few people like yourself.

As for me, I do not like the violence in sports like football. I know there is a certain amount of violence because of the nature of the game, I just do not care for the guys headhunting on the field so they can make the highlight clips on ESPN. I suppose people like yourself are contributing to this.

-Mike

3. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    (Shrug) Ever been to Texas?

4. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    Virginia
    You basically alluded to it: There is a difference between full-contact and violence. I like full-contact sports. I don't like thugs turning sports into gangstaball.

Scott

5. True. I wouldn't want to watch a sport where everyone attempts to stab each other. But at the same time, when I played lacrosse I would really enjoy trying to ring someones bell...even more than getting the ball. I also don't watch UFC for the tactics.

As I've gotten older, I often wonder if this interest in sanctioned and socially acceptable "violence" (call it full contact if you want) is typical of males due to evolution and hormones, or just a character flaw I've developed. I think it's the former. If it's the latter, it begs the question, "what about my upbringing brought on this interest?"

6. Dave Siff

Dave Siff Supporting Member

My favorite sport is golf. So, no. :D

7. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I really enjoy watching basketball and football, but I wouldnt say I enjoy watching violent sports more.

I would definately say I enjoy playing violent sports more. In highschool i played hockey, football, and lacrosse. When i play golf i get frustrated and break clubs. When i play lacrosse and get frustrated i run to the other end and hit someone.

As state above there is a fine line. Not a cheap shot but an honest hit, which there are plenty in lacrosse. Im 24 and i still play quite a bit cuz its such a fun game. Ive never seen a fight in lacrosse, its a very respectable game.

8. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    actually, that's probably why i like football (soccer to you USAians). no padding, so you best be sure where you throw your limbs!

this does not apply to footbal fans, of course... :D

9. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Sport appreciation comes from personal experience. You are obviously athletically limited, thus you lean toward those activities that stimulate your psyche in a way competition couldn't.

People with extensive sports backgrounds rarely tend toward violent sporting events such as UFC, Boxing, Wrestling etc. You have to have an appreciation of sport and the competition aspect to enjoy sport for the sport.

BTW Gangstaball.....LMAO seems to be the way of the NBA and NFL. Thank god for Hockey, Soccer and Golf. LMAO

10. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
  11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I like watching sports because every game there is a chance to greatness. 99% of these guys play can only play at the highest level with extreme dedication to their sport. It's takes a special talent with a strong work ethic to survive in pro sports. Every year the gameplay changes and the athlete is one year older and the replacements wait in the wings.

The "big hit" or excitement of seeing stuff most can't do exists in all sports, it doesn't have to be violent or just one person hitting another. It's a reason people watch but I don't it should be the only reason. If golf didn't have their "big hit" (driving) than it would just be a putting contest. When the World Cup came around all I heard when Brazil played was about some dude that could kick the ball 90 mph, he didn't hit the broad side of a barn, but he could kick the crap out of it. Some of the tackling, when done wrong and when the other guy doesn't flop like a sack of potatos, is pretty violent. Baseball has the home run and running through the catcher.

NFL made it's name on the big hit. Big hits delivered by iron men who get up and do it 30 more times later in the game and then sign autographs and do a press conference after the game. But their bodies are paying for it now. Something retired players are trying to receive compensation for injuries suffered as a player. Some players still go crazy with the hitting though. This year in the AFC Championship, two Pats were trying to hit so hard that they ended up injuring themselves. One broke his arm, the other his shoulder blade. I don't want the NFL to be a flag football league, but I think the big hit is glorified way too much. Some guys will miss tackles and give up points trying to put a big "lick" on someone. That to me is crazy. "I gave up the TD, but I was almost on Jacked Up."

12. While you've made an inaccurate assumption of my background and athletic abilities, it's an interesting theory. I think this could definitely be a factor with some people. These are probably the same people who throw tantrums and/or fight on the field.

13. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Not a big fan of watching sports as much as playing in them. Sports I like are surfing, snowboarding, golf, swimming and waterpolo. I loved playing waterpolo. It's violent, but with a lot of skill. I like seeing atheletes blend everything. Violence just being a part of it.

14. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    The only sport that I will actually sit down and watch is boxing. Oddly enough I don't think it's violent. I'm not a big fan of hockey brawls, but I do enjoy nascar crashes.

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Not really, because I enjoy non violent sports too like football and volleyball. However, MMA, Muay Thai and K-1 Kickboxing are my favourite sports.

16. I tend to play a pretty violent game of golf :mad: After loosing my 8th ball in a water trap on the second hole............LOOK OUT!!! :rollno: :p

17. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Is the wood or the iron the weapon of choice? :p

18. Dave Siff

Dave Siff Supporting Member

Ha! I hear ya. I've had to replace a 6-iron and a 9-iron in the past couple of years. My club-breaking days are over, though. As my mother-in-law often points out when we're on the course, "What expectations do you really have of yourself?"

19. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    ...because they are violent? No, I love ice/roller hockey, playing and watching, but I like all aspects of it... if a fight breaks out between players then I and most true hockey fans know why it's happening and understand the reasoning behind it... can't say that's the primary reason I watch games though...

If a fight breaks out in a pick-up game etc... then it's for a whole different reason and mentality, and that's never pretty... it's usually just plain old pride kicking in and it sucks.

That's why I never play hockey with people I don't, or someone close to me, doesn't really know...