1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you like the Musicman Sterling?

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by NeroJazz, May 6, 2015.

1. os2k

os2k

Dec 24, 2012
    central ohio
    I saw this a few days ago. I think it's a mistake, since wwbw's own website does not list this one as in stock, and neither do it's sister websites (musician's friend, music123, musicarts, gc). It is probably a different instrument. My guess is (based on the price) that it's just a Sterling by Music Man S.U.B. Ray5... If you are a gambling person go for it!

2. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother.

Feb 13, 2009
    New Jersey
  3. om14

om14

Nov 6, 2014
    Sigh. I just bought one, but only because I like to gamble, not because I need another bass. I think they're probably just blowing out the rest of the stock. If it's indeed an SB14, then it seems to be a great deal on a new one. If it's not an SB14 and actually a S.U.B. model (or something else), then between wwbw, Amazon and my credit card company, I'm confident I'll get all of my money back including return shipping cost (and I still get to try the other model for my trouble).

os2k likes this.
  4. carbonfold

carbonfold Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    Might just want to contact WWBW direct. Their website list the S.U.B. Ray for that price. Wasn't the SB14 discontinued as well?

5. filler83

filler83

Jan 5, 2015
    Cleveland, OH
    From WWBW when I contacted to confirm it is a SB-14:

Thank you for your recent inquiry.

The item being sold will be just as it is listed and described. If for whatever reason you are sent something different, we are happy to set up a return and pay for the shipping to send it back to us. If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know. Thank you.

We appreciate you choosing The Woodwind and Brasswind.
    We are dedicated to your satisfaction with this and every purchase from us.
    Please feel free to contact us if you have any other questions or concerns.
    Have a great day!

Woodwind & Brasswind: Band and Orchestra Instruments Store

(800) 348-5003

6. om14

om14

Nov 6, 2014
    That's a weird response. I can't tell if it's a canned response. I doubt they'd say that and not actually sell an SB14 in the hopes that folks who get a S.U.B. would keep it. Well, this confirms that even if it's the wrong item, they will provide a full refund.

7. om14

om14

Nov 6, 2014
    "I wanted to contact you as we were getting ready to ship this item we noticed a error with the posting and so we did have to cancel the order because the bass that wasn't what we actually had in stock so instead of shipping the wrong item we have canceled the order. I do greatly apologize for any inconvenience."

Oh well. No harm done I guess.

8. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish

Well, harm done for me, they emailed a minute ago that they sent the wrong bass but would not say what it is.
    elle

9. om14

om14

Nov 6, 2014
    Ugh. Well, you can call them. They may just tell you to refuse shipment and it will automatically go back to them. Alternatively, you can wait until you receive it and there is a chance you get a nicer bass (maybe an actual Sterling ;) ) and if not, then just return it for a full refund.

10. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish

I sent an email response asking what bass did you guys send? I got an email back that said they did not understand my question. I'm on the phone with them now. An hour after they said they shipped it I got an email that it had just shipped, could have been a delay but still annoying. Yeah, I'm hoping they sent me a real ray but I think it'll be the cheap SUB.

11. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish

12. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish

I guess in conclusion, no, I do not like the Musicman Sterling

13. Yolly111

Yolly111

Oct 27, 2013
    Well, I did the jump about a week ago and received it today.

Wrong bass: got the SUB 5.

Then contacted Woodwind and it seems that the page on Amazon was a cached page for a discontinued product... No more SB14 for a long time they claim.

Will return for a full refund...

14. os2k

os2k

Dec 24, 2012
    central ohio
    Huh! My 'detective' work was correct ;)

15. om14

om14

Nov 6, 2014
    WWBW called me today and stated that despite canceling the order and refunding my money, they still ended up sending me a SUB Ray5. They told me I could refuse the package or ship it back via return label (both for free, of course). They also said I could keep it for full price which I laughed at-- not sure why they wouldn't at least offer the shipping cost both ways as a discount. I didn't bother asking for a discount either because I don't want it. Though, it has peeked my interest in getting a 5 string bass to play around with ;)

16. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish

I can't bring another 5 string in the house or 613 will eat it image.

17. tavesd

tavesd

Jul 31, 2007
    So I took a gamble here too. Didn't quite work out. First, you guys are saying the vendor was WWBM, when I clicked the link in the original post, the Amazon page showed Music123 as the vendor. Anyway... It was still showing the SB-14 for $319 though, so I took a stab at it. Bass arrived today and as Yolly111 said up above, it was a SUB 5. I ordered a black SB-14 four string, and a red SUB five string showed up. :/

On the plus side, it arrived in less than 48 hours.

Called Music123 and Evan was plenty helpful and apologetic. First he advised that they don't even carry the SB-14. Then he offered to let me keep teh SUB 5 and refund me $45, for a final cost of $275. As a SUB 5 was not what I was looking for, I passed. They're sending me a return shipping label, so in 10 business days or so I'll have my $319 back. He did say that this was the second call for the same problem he's fielded today and he was now going to file a report to get that sale removed from Amazon.

os2k likes this.
  18. os2k

os2k

Dec 24, 2012
    central ohio

WWBW, Music123, as well as Musician's Friend and Music and Arts, are all owned by Guitar Center - source: Wikipedia Guitar Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They all use the same database and same shipping warehouse.

19. tavesd

tavesd

Jul 31, 2007
    I did not know that. I knew Musician's Friend, not the others. Thanks, good to know.