1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you like the term "case candy"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassrique, Feb 26, 2008.

1. I like it.

22.9%
  2. Can't stand it.

16.0%
  3. Are you kidding me with this poll?

31.3%
  4. Never heard it.

28.2%
  5. Other.

4.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I don't *dislike* it. I never thought about it, really. It gets the point across. The only thing I don't like is that it has the implication that you're getting something sweet that's extra or unexpected, like they're giving you a piece of candy with the guitar.... It's supposed to come with the guitar; it's not a bonus! (speaking of used instruments).

2. At the risk of [​IMG]

To the dozen or so of you that say you like the term: You actually will go to a music store, and when struck by a bass of beauty, will utter something like, "yeah man, that's case candy", loud enough for others to hear you? Perhaps that's a bad example as many a cheesy sales clerk are the very people that popularized such crap. [​IMG]

Would you utter something loudly at a bar or club [where there are plenty of good looking women around] if you saw some other musician plying a nice guitar or bass?

So in closing, this isn't really a big deal, it's just a pet peeve that makes me [​IMG] when I hear it.

And to the guy selling that great Status: I didn't mean to [​IMG] you. Hey, you got some more exposure for your sale. Look at it that way.

/rant

3. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    hm...

i thought case candy was the stuff that comes with a new bass (ie, hang tags, certificates, tools, manuals, etc.). i've never referred to an instrument as "case candy" before.

:confused:

4. Perhaps I've misinterpreted the whole thing all along? :eyebrow: Hmmmm......

5. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Yeah "case candy" is all the little tags and stuff that comes with a new bass... hasn't ever seemed to be all that "candy" to me -- hang tags, woo hoo!!! (that's sarcasm).

6. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Never have cared for that term...probably because of who uses it the most.

7. another one for case cheese.

what if its reliced?

8. I hope the next bass I sell goes to someone on this thread, or else someone is going to be really pissed they found week old carrots and cheese...but Ill throw some chocolate in there to sweeten the deal :smug:

9. You watch your tongue! :eek:

:bag:

10. BRAVO for this!!!!!

11. Do you have an alternate expression?

"FS: Bass in like new condition, comes with hardshell case, and all the auxiliary accoutrements included from the factory as with a new instrument..."

12. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Case crap?

If I mention "case candy", my wife laughs at me and my friends start beating me up.

13. I don't really like 'case candy,' but in a day and age where we have terms like 'eye candy,' I guess it at least makes sense.

But while we're on the subject of ridiculous terms, if I see one more TBer say that his or her new axe 'plays like butter,' I think I'm going to buy a plane ticket and beat him to death with the new bass...

14. butter, ah, thats what going in my case next time. forget carrots and cheese. that way the next owner can keep the strings nice and slick, get a nice fat tone too...man its too early for this >_<

15. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    I love it as much as the name "Money Bass"
    :rollno:

16. Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that one...:spit:

17. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I like the term "case candy", it sounds delicious!

18. I should have read the whole thread before posting...

I didn't know the term could be misconstrued...

19. I had never heard the term, and wish that were still the case
    (candy).

mark

20. No, a term like 'case bison steak' would sound delicious. A term like 'case cake' would be okay, hell even 'case butter chicken with scented rice and nan' would sound awesome -- though admittedly ridiculous.

But case candy? Case empty calories, more like.

:bag: